Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:40 AM   #11

i opted for fuji`s own lense the tl-fx9.

do i need to change any settings in the cam to let it know theres a telephoto lense attached to it?
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 5:40 AM   #12

In the set up menu there's an option to say you have the extension tube fitted. All this does is disable the infra red focus assist which helps the thro' lens system to focus. When the adaptor and lens is fitted it actually blocks the IR window on the front Personally I've never had a problem with mis focussing if it's left set for no extender as normal, but low light might be different.

kamikazi, I was interested in your final decision. I first bought the T-Con17 based on all the rave reviews. I am not a pro camera person and like flexibility. When the T-Con arrived I thought wow this is a good lens - lots of glass and heavy. Then when I put it on my 602, I could only use it with full zoom -1/3 before the toilet roll kicked in. I felt that restricted its use on the 602 to not much more than a fixed tele, needing a tripod most of the time and more frequent lens changing for situations where you needed some zoom control. I noticed that the rear element on the T-CON is quite a bit smaller than the front lens on the 602. Perhaps Canon cams have smaller diameter glass.

So I exchanged the T-CON for the Fuji TL-FX9 at which many will be aghast I'm sure. The Fuji lens out of the box is incredibly light (plastic lenses?) compared to the T-CON. So first impression is not worth the cash.

However, the TL-FX9 allows the 602 zoom to be used down to about 1/2 way and with care the camera can be hand held against a wall. I also noticed, compared to the T-CON, that there is hardly any exposure change, lens off or on. OK it's only nominally a 1.5X lens, might blow away if left somewhere and doesn't feel worth the cash - but I've tried it hand held indoors with flash and you can get super candid shots in focus at room distances. Apologies to all 602/T-CON users! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:44 AM   #13

hi vox,havent had time to test it out yet but your right it is ever so light and hardly weighs anything.

i can`t seem to find in the settings about having an extension tube fitted can anyone point me in the right direction? (im a total novice with digital cams)
Old Nov 20, 2003, 7:23 AM   #14

I'm at work so not got the menu in front. But it's the setup screen with the top wheel in the first position (where you set the picture quality and media type) and either on page 1 or a down click to the next page. Don't forget this menu is defaults and applies to all modes until changed!

That's why leaving it set off (as normal) is a bit safer - but as I said, prove me wrong if you find a prob. with AF. Go get some nice tele pics! Cheers VOX
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:24 AM   #15

there isnt any setting on this cam to let it know you have a lense attached to it,these are the settings to choose from:

SetUp menu in Record and Play modes:

IMAGE DISP. - Off/On, Allows review of capture for 2 seconds
POWER SAVE - 2min/5 min/off
FORMAT - Formats the xD-Picture Card
BEEP - Volume of camera sounds, Low/High/Off
SHUTTER - Volume of the shutter sound f/x
DATE/TIME - setting of date and time
FRAME NO. - Continuous or reset (file numbering)
USB MODE - DSC(download to a PC)/PC Cam(webcam mode)
CCD RAW - Enable the RAW capture mode instead of JPEG
LANGUAGE - English/French/German
VIDEO SYSTEM - NTSC or PAL video signal timing
DISCHARGE - Discharge the NiMH rechargeable batteries
RESET - resets all camera settings to default.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:08 AM   #16

kamikazi.....Looks like they dropped the option from the menu on the S5000. As I said, not enabling the option hasn't caused me any problem on my S602:

The adapter ring enclosed with the FinePix S5000(AR-FX5) should be used with this
conversion lens. The adapter rings provided with these conversion lenses (AR-FX9 for
FinePix 4900 zoom/6900 zoom/S602 zoom) cannot be used with the FinePix S5000.
! Only use the wide conversion lens at the wide-angle zoom setting.
! The built-in flash cannot be used when the wide conversion lens is mounted.
! Commercially available filters can be mounted on the lens when the adapter ring is
attached, but no more than one filter should be mounted at a time.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:56 PM   #17

The two best quality add-on teleconvertors would be the Olympus TCON-14B and the Sony VCL-HGD1758. These two lenses represent the sharpest corner to corner resolving ability of all tele add on lenses, that I have been able to find controlled testing scenarios. However, these two lenses are two of the most expensive when purchased new, and are both the largest and heaviest lenses avaialble(solid metal bodies, large glass elements). Both of these lenses have a reaonsable level of zoom available, as well. The TCON-14B, on my s602, has almost 2/3 of the zoom range available. If you are willing to purchase used, their really is no reason to not get a TCON-14b(do not confuse with the TCON-14, a completely different lens) because now ebay is saturated with that model, thus the price has been driven down. You can get the TCON 14b at about half of it's new price on ebay becuase of this issue. Auctions have been closing at around 80-90 USD lately:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ympus+tcon-14b

-Chris[/url]
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 3:52 PM   #18
djb

i'm thinking pf getting the tl-fx9 and emailed fuji about he lenses in it as it is so light. they assured me the lenses are glass. i know this was questioned earlier. anyone know if there are any 2x lenses with 55mm threads for the s602z? i don't want to use stepup/stepdown rings.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote