Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 6, 2003, 12:58 PM   #1

Default Conclusion: proper lenses for Fuji s5000/s602/s7000

Howdy,

After days of reading all possible forums about lenses (I'm only interrested in telephoto and macro, sorry for the wideangle shoppers) that work well with Fuji Sxxx cameras, I came to the following conclusions:

- best TelePhoto for a price bellow $200 (affordable) is Olympus TCON-17 which offers 1.7x magnification. (*)
- best close-up/macro lenses for a price ~$50 are Hoya multi coated +1, +2 and +4 lenses

(*) problem with TCON is that it does not offer any thread for mounting additional lenses/filters. Any solutions for this ? Besides glueing something to it... Protecting the TCON with an additional UV filter would be advised.

Does everybody else agrees with this?

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:05 PM   #2

The only option is to glue in a filter ring, but because of the "lip" on the objective side of the housing, you really don't need to "protect" it.

It's not really like you are adding a $2000 lens, the cost of the filter ring and a good UV filter would nearly equal the cost of a replacement TCON-17.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 12:07 PM   #3

Completely understandable, Lin Evans, but still, if someone wishes to mount an additional filter in front of the TCON... glueing is the only option. What about mounting 2 TCONs? Same thing...

It's a pity Olympus didn't included another thread on the lenses.

Just my 0.02 cents...

Cheers,
veedee.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 1:48 PM   #4

A very recent post on this :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6038119
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 9:15 PM   #5

Could you use a 55mm filter behind the tcon? Between the existing lens and the tcon adapter?
Rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 9:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollz
Could you use a 55mm filter behind the tcon? Between the existing lens and the tcon adapter?
Thats what I have been doing with my c-750uz and wcon-07 wide angle lens. I have let to try it one the tcon-17 however.

One thing I noticed with the wcon-07 was when using a filter between the camera and the wide angle lens is I get a dark corner in my pics which can be seen here (bottom right corner). Kinda odd, but I don't see this being a problem with the tcon-17. If these forest fires ever clear up I will take some pics with a filter between the camera and the tcon-17 to see how it works.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 3:34 AM   #7

I got another question. I want to buy a polarizer filter for my Fuji S5000. I don't know what to choose between a linear one or a circular one.

Both are good quality. I can buy for instance from Cokin (www.cokin.fr), or Hoya filters.

What would you choose?
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:41 AM   #8

ive just bought myself the s5000 and was thinking about buying fuji`s own telephoto lense.

so does this olympus one (TCON17) fit correctly to the fuji s5000?
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 5:34 AM   #9

It's not just fit, but also compatibility with the camera's own lens (as some combinations aren't a good marriage). The Tcon is one of the better ones on the market.

I don't know what size the Tcon size is (might be 55mm as Oly filter tube adapters are 55mm, but you can get step-up/down rings)...also it depends on what size filter adapter tube you yourself get for your S5000 (43, 52, or 55mm)!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:03 AM   #10

Add filter to the end of Tcon 17 could be accomplished by taping the filter to the lens with black electrical tape.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote