Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:36 AM   #1

My Canon S1 IS died and I found that Canon USA was replacing the bad CCD for free -- even though it was out of warranty! Well, it turns out that they no longer have the replacement parts and sent me an S5 IS! Quite a nice upgrade!

The S1 had a 52mm cowl... the S5's is 58mm... time for some new lenses :-/

I have a no-name 0.38x fisheye that's, well, crap. So much distortion and abberation at the edges that the only thing its good for is attatching it to the 52-30mm step ring I bought for my Sony camcorder (works VERY well since the tiny aperture can't get to the poorest parts of the lens!)

I'm starting to wonder if there's no such thing as, no matter the quality, a well-working, aggressive wideangle lens for something like the non-SLR S5 IS. If this is not true, what are my options? I'm looking at the $100-$200 range for something under 0.4x... is that reasonable?

Thanks!
mmboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:27 PM   #2

Canon has a .75x WA lens for the S5 http://estore.usa.canon.com/Specific...?ITEM_ID=35524

The other source I could suggest is Raynox http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/S2is/index.htm

B&H & Adorama typically carry Raynox, Google's your friend.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:49 PM   #3

ac.smith, thank for the info. I was aware of these lenses (without Google'ing But I wanted some learned opinions. I guess you are conforming that a wide angle lense and a non-SRL can play nicely together...?

Specifically the Raynox 0.3x caught my attention. That's the one I'll probably settle with since you've suggested Raynox. Have you had experience with their lenses before?
mmboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:35 AM   #4

I have not used any Raynox product but I get the impression from Steve's forums and DPReview forumsthat those how have Raynox auxilary lenses are satisfied. They're not "cheap" lens.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote