Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:48 PM   #1

Sony VCL1758, sorry not getting much response from the other thread.
Is there any way to open this lens. Dropped lens in snow. After snow melted water breached the lens chamber, now it is fogged. Is there anyway of opening this so I can clean the lens. If it's entirely sealed can I cut the chamber and half horizontially and clean lens then stitch the chamber. thanks
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:44 PM   #2

I can't answer your disassembly question, but have you tried less drastic means to dry the lens out? It just seems to me that if liquid water can get in, then water vapor can get out.

Have you tried gentle heating, like leaving it in a sunny window for a few hours to see whether that lessens the problem at all? If you can't tell whether any evaporation is taking place, try putting the lens into a clear, sealable plastic bag and then heating it up. If you see any fogging inside the bag, then there is evaporation taking place. If vapor is coming out, you might just have to keep heating it up for a time (Days? A week?) to clear the water out. I was about to suggest leaving it on your car seat in the sun, but then I noticed that you live in Canada! You probably need to use an ice pick to get the keys into the ignition!

Hey, I just thought of a really hair-brained scheme! :idea: Do you have access to one of those doohickies that either vacuum-pack food in plastic bags or create vacuums in canning jars? :shock: I'm wondering whether negative air pressure would help to extract the moist air from the lens...Maybe a combination of a moderate vacuum and heating the container...:? Seems like a jar would work better since the plastic bag type of unit suck the bag right up against the contents leaving little room for more vapor to escape.

Maybe even a regular vacuum cleaner could do something with a bit of tinkering!

Seriously! I'd try it before I cut into the lens barrel...But that's me. :?

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:22 PM   #3

I few hours in the sun will evaporate the fog.

Though you will need a nice sunny day
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4

hey thanks for the suggestions. The vaccum thing. I don't have, but the heating up idea is good. Since it's been overcast. Can I leave it in a oven at low heat for a few hours. Another extreme idea! thanks for your help. BTW if I did hack this sucker in half and re-assembled would I have focus issues?
edit:
Just another question if it does dry out and fog clears, will i see little droplets on my lens and if they are there is there a solution to rid my glass of the spots.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:22 PM   #5

No need to hack the lens. I took the advice of the heating method. I pearched the lens bellow a 40w heat lamp for a hour and a half. Moisture/fog seems to be completely gone, and it looks like there is no visible spots on the inside lens, which was my biggest fear. Thanks all for your help. garman