Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 25, 2002, 3:40 PM   #1

Default minolta s404

I have read elsewhere about people having hesitation about using add-on lenses with the s404. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with it and had any recommendations.

Thanks,
~Tyler
festivus15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:01 PM   #2

Hi,
Having similar concerrns. I, too, have a S404. Try this site: http://www.2filter.com/welcometo.html
Some decent information that might help. I am looking for fillters and auxilary telephotos, and my primary concerns are quality of resolution and vignetting problems, let alone adapters. This place has SOME information that might help. ]
PAULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 12:38 PM   #3

Don't put add on lenses on your 404. Just personal opinion, oh and Minolta's advice. One filter or 2 thin profile filters is about all you can do.

www.photosolve.com is working on a tube adapter for the 304/404 so you can attach lenses- by supporting all the weight of them on the frame of the camera- not on the delicate motorized AF barrel.

I suppose you could get a 35.5mm to 37mm step up ring (although 35.5mm to 43 or 46 is probably best) and drop an aluminum/glass tele adapter on the end of it. Just don't act surprised when your lens motor burns up. I'm waiting for photosolve to finish their sollution. Don't want my cam to spend 4 weeks in the shop over some experiment Minolta claims isn't good for the camera.

If they wanted you to put add on lenses on the camera they would have used something besides 35.5mm threads- this thread size was popular in the 1960s and 70s , in Germany maybe.

If you can't wait- they have instructions for making your own tube adapter out of ABS. I did find a +3 Hoya close up filter on ebay- kinda like a lens for macro work... not really though.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:00 AM   #4

http://www.333design.net/Minolta/telephoto.htm

I built my own adapter out of plastic coupling and bought some vintage 1970;s-80's 46mm tele/wide set lenses. $20 and a workable if not pretty sollution.

By the way-- I was told I was daft for thinking that adding a step up ring to the 404 and throwing a lens straight on the end of the barrel would damage the camera-- that there would be no problem and that the only danger was stripping out the aluminum filter threads. So now you have 2 unfounded opinions on the matter.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote