Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:45 PM   #1

Default Kenko vs. SIMA

I'm looking to get a 2X and 0.5 Conversion Lense for my Minolta S414 and Panasonic Digi Camcoder.

Which brand is better?
SIMA SLS-05 0.5X Wide Angle and SIMA SLS-20 2X Telephoto Conversion Lens

or

KENKO MD-205S MD-05W 0.5x Wide-Angle Lens and MD-20T 2.0x Telephoto Lens

alzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:30 PM   #2

What I am wondering is what is the diffrence between the sima sls-05/sls-20 and the kenko sgw-05/sgt-20. They very much appear to be the same lenses.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 1:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardh
What I am wondering is what is the diffrence between the sima sls-05/sls-20 and the kenko sgw-05/sgt-20. They very much appear to be the same lenses.
Yes, they are both 2X and .5 lense but I'm talking about the quality of the lense. Which brand is better SIMA or Kenko
alzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 4:08 PM   #4

I thought I posted something here.

Although I can't say anything about these specific lenses, Kenko in general makes very good TCs for SLR cameras.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 4:16 PM   #5

I may not have made my question clear. I know that they are both 0.5 and 2x lenses but what I was trying to point out is that perhaps the sima sls-20 is actually a kenko sgt-20, with sima's name put on it. I was not just implying that they were the same type of lens, I was trying to imply that they may be the exact same lens from the exact same assembly line. I have the kenko sgt-20 and looking at the picture of the sls-20, they look like the same exact lens. they have the same exact specifications. they have the same thread size front and rear. The dimentions and apperance are identical. The even have the same writing in the same colors and faunt (except one says telephoto and one says tele). You could take one, change the markings and not be able to tell it was not the other.
Do a google search on both lenses and find some pictures and you will see what I mean.
If they are the same lens (i.e. kenko makes it for sima), you could just contact kenko and ask what the diffrence between the sgt-20 and the md-20t is.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote