Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:59 AM   #1
kex

Default Need advice on macro lenses for Canon A60

Hi folks.

I'm planing to get a macro lense set for my Canon A60.
But there're some questions I still got:

- Is it worth buying macro lenses for that cam? Can someone probably post a picture taken with and without a macro lense using the Canon A60?

- If it is worth, which macro lense set would be the best? I read about tiffin, sunpak and others, but which would you prefer?

- I know I have to get an adaptor for the lenses, so they fit on the camera. Which adaptor would be the best/cheapest?

- How much should I spend on all that? I guess about 50-75 would be okay?! Or is it even more expensive?

Thanks for your answers in advance!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2003, 1:40 PM   #2

Default Re: Need advice on macro lenses for Canon A60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
Hi folks.

I'm planing to get a macro lense set for my Canon A60.
But there're some questions I still got:

- Is it worth buying macro lenses for that cam? Can someone probably post a picture taken with and without a macro lense using the Canon A60?
From my experience yes, it is, but not the Canon close-up lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
- If it is worth, which macro lense set would be the best? I read about tiffin, sunpak and others, but which would you prefer?
Cokin and Hoya are good brands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
- I know I have to get an adaptor for the lenses, so they fit on the camera. Which adaptor would be the best/cheapest?
The canon adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
- How much should I spend on all that? I guess about 50-75 would be okay?! Or is it even more expensive?

Thanks for your answers in advance!
Nah, too much... You can get the adapter for $20, and +1, +2, +3 and +4 close-up lenses from Cokin with 52mm thread for $40.

So that's $60 all, round it up to max 50 euros I think.

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 1:52 PM   #3
kex

thanks for your answer, veedee.
Did you take photos with these lenses?
If so, could you probably post some/one of them?

Do I have to take the original canon adapter? I heard there're also some cheaper ones on the market. what is it good for? it actually is a piece of plastic holding the lense, or am I wrong?

Do you have a link to a good online shop where I could purchase both?
In germany, it seems that I can't get the cokin/tiffin/sunpak lenses at all
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
thanks for your answer, veedee.
Did you take photos with these lenses?
If so, could you probably post some/one of them?
Nope, unfortunatly I don't have any pictures around with them, as I just sold my Canon A40 and bought a new Fuji FinePix S5000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
Do I have to take the original canon adapter? I heard there're also some cheaper ones on the market. what is it good for? it actually is a piece of plastic holding the lense, or am I wrong?
Yup, piece of plastic. Yeah, maybe there are cheaper ones, but it is really important that the thread adapter is a GOOD one, otherwise it will break the thread on the lenses. Better spend more on it if you can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
Do you have a link to a good online shop where I could purchase both?
In germany, it seems that I can't get the cokin/tiffin/sunpak lenses at all
Unfortunatly nope, unless you want to buy from another country in the European Union. Please check if you got any Hoya filters to a dealer shop around you, or check www.cokin.fr from France for Cokin filters.

I'm from Romania, and we got them both Cokin and Hoya here.

Cheers,
veedee.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:35 PM   #5

Default Re: Need advice on macro lenses for Canon A60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
I don't have a Canon A60; but, the "Close-Up" page of my Nikon Coolpix 2500 user guide does show the results of using various close-up lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
If it is worth, which macro lense set would be the best? I read about tiffin, sunpak and others, but which would you prefer?
Those "sets" are about the same quality. The key is usually about coating. A multicoated set will help getting higher contrast images. These "sets" are usually single-element lenses, which can easily introduce chromatic aberration into your image. Camera makers and some third-party manufactures also make doublet close-up lenses (i.e., to glass elements glued together to reduce chromatic aberration). These doublets are usually more expensive and can yield much higher results. The key questions are: (1) do you really need these higher quality close-up doublets, and (2) would these doublets increase the image quality obtained using your A60 significantly? The answer to the first question is a $$$$ matter, and the answer to the second question depends on your testings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
How much should I spend on all that? I guess about 50-75 would be okay?! Or is it even more expensive?
Excluding the adapter, a doublet will cost at least $40-$50. So, if you only intend to spend 50-75, then a Hoya or Tiffen set should work find. The images on my "Close-Up" pages for the Coolpix 2500 were all taken with the Tiffen 37mm set.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:36 PM   #6
kex

thanks for your help, veedee.
I'll take a look on that website.
I'll get my lenses - somehow

EDIT: Thank you, too, shene!
I think I'll start with the single-element lenses.
For the beginning, they will do it I guess. Your macros, by the way look really good!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:47 PM   #7

np, glad if I can help.

Also try buying from The Nederlands. That's where I got my camera, they got good prices (most of the time). Check www.fotobooms.nl to compare with your local prices.

Cheers,
veedee.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 8:23 AM   #8
kex

I got a question again.
Someone on another forum told me to get a 10+ lense instead of a set, because the quality is better.
but is it worth buying just one lens?
Do you need the single lenses from your lense set or do you always combine them?
If I just get a 10+ lense, I can take super macro shots or without it just macro shots. so there's nothing in between, or am I wrong?
Somewhere, I read you have to use the zoom with the lenses.
how does that work?
I thought I have to use the macro mode of the cam combined with the lense?!
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
I got a question again.
Someone on another forum told me to get a 10+ lense instead of a set, because the quality is better.
but is it worth buying just one lens?
Do you need the single lenses from your lense set or do you always combine them?
If I just get a 10+ lense, I can take super macro shots or without it just macro shots. so there's nothing in between, or am I wrong?
Somewhere, I read you have to use the zoom with the lenses.
how does that work?
I thought I have to use the macro mode of the cam combined with the lense?!
The quality of the +10 lense is better comparing to stacking other "lighter" lenses (like +10 = +4 + 4 + 2, three lenses stacked). But, as you already assumed, you will only be able to take either REALLY close shots (+10) or normal ones (macro), as there's no stepping between. Although you could adjust the focus system, you will get better results with a +1 +2 +3 +4 set IMHO.

But I might be mistaken...
Old Sep 27, 2003, 4:27 PM   #10

I have been leed to believe that +1 or +2 gives very little magnification on prosumer digital cameras due to the smallers lens systems and ccd's. It might be beter to get a +10 or a +7/+10 set. I would try to find some example pics on a digital before I made a decision if I were you.
Just as an example, I have a slr lens that I reverse on my a70. I have been told that is either equivalent to a +20 or +27. Take the amount of magnification that you see here ant take 1/20 of that for a +1 filter. It does not seem like much improvment to me.
The 2 wide angle shots were with the a70 with no add on lens. The other 2 are with the reversed slr lens.
http://www.pbase.com/richardh/slr_macro
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote