Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:33 PM   #1

Hello all.

I very recently purchased a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM lens and, thus far, am pretty happy with it. However, I am a little confused as to the warranty on this lens. The camera store that I was, initially, going to buy from, didn't have this particular lens in stock, but informed me (after my querying) that Sigma carried a 4-year warranty on this lens. As I needed the lens for the very next evening, I visited another camera store, where I wound up buying the lens from. Getting home, I learned that the warranty mentioned just one-year. Nothing to send in, mind you - just a small card (written mostly in a foreign language) with the len's serial number on it.

I wonder if anyone else who bought this lens could share, with me, what kind of warranty information came with their lens. I have about another week and a half, where I could exchange this lens for something else, and don't want to travel beyond that if this lens matter proves to be 'not right'. I don't know what the term 'Grey market' really spells out, but wonder if my lens might fall under that category. I have emailed Sigma (with the serial number of my lens), over this concern, but have heard absolutely NOTHING back from them.

Please share any info on this.

Blessings,
Nathan

NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:37 PM   #2

See http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3407
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:46 AM   #3

TCav wrote: TCav...I thank you.

I will be taking a copy of this, with me, when I return to the camera store on Monday morning. I don't feel at all comfortable about this lens, now that I have been apprised of this info. It will be somewhat of a battle, I know, because their policy on cash refunds are within seven days of the purchase date, with a 15% restocking fee. But the color of this particular matter puts everything in a whole 'nother ballpark. So we'll see.

But thanks again.

Blessings,
Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote