Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 30, 2003, 3:58 AM   #1

Default Wide angle lense - .5 or .45???

I've recently bought a Canon G5, and am now considering some aftermarket lenses. I've been trying to figure out what the real difference is with a telephoto lense that's stated to be a .5 vrs one that's a .45. The salesperson was telling me that the smaller the number, the more realistic the wide angle view will be. He was telling me that the .45 would show far less of the fish eye view than the .5.

Can someone here explain the difference to me? I have a much stronger feeling that I'd get an unbiased and truthful oppinion here than someone trying to sell me a more expensive lense.

I should point out that I don't have a particular lense in mind, or atleast haven't paid enough attention to the name/model on the lense to be able to state here exactly what I'm looking at. If there is one "brand" that's better than another, I'd love to here that too.

Thanks!
jmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:44 PM   #2
lg

Take the widest view your camera can do, and get familiar with what it looks like. When you add a .5x teleconverter to a 38mm lens, you simply multiply to come up with a 14mm lens. I have a WCON-08E, or .8x wide angle adapter, which turns my 38mm lens into the equivalent of a 30.5mm lens.

Consider these as starting points... a 28mm view is about as wide a view as you can expect to see straight lines still appearing straight-- less than 28 and you start to see parallax distortion, or straight objects appearing curved.

Vignetting is when the view is so wide that you can actually see parts of the lens in the corners. The wider the view, the greater the chance for this.

Sharpness varies greatly, according to the quality of the lens. You should choose carefully, as some may be too "soft" a focus to please you. Mine is very sharp... a Kenko I tried out was not.

These are just a few points to consider, and there are more, but I didn't want to bog you down with details. If you need more info, just ask.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:45 PM   #3
lg

Take the widest view your camera can do, and get familiar with what it looks like. When you add a .5x teleconverter to a 38mm lens, you simply multiply to come up with a 14mm lens. I have an Olympus WCON-08E, or .8x wide angle adapter, which turns my 38mm lens into the equivalent of a 30.4mm lens.

Consider these as starting points... a 28mm view is about as wide a view as you can expect to see straight lines still appearing straight-- less than 28 and you start to see parallax distortion, or straight objects appearing curved.

Vignetting is when the view is so wide that you can actually see parts of the lens in the corners. The wider the view, the greater the chance for this.

Sharpness varies greatly, according to the quality of the lens. You should choose carefully, as some may be too "soft" a focus to please you. Mine is very sharp... a Kenko I tried out was not.

These are just a few points to consider, and there are more, but I didn't want to bog you down with details. If you need more info, just ask.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 4:15 AM   #4

So the larger the number, the better? A .5 would be a better choice than a .45? If that's the case, I'm very glad I asked. The salesperson was telling me that the smaller the number, the better.

Is this a correct assumption on my part? Does size matter? :lol:
Old Oct 1, 2003, 5:09 PM   #5
lg

The smaller the number, the wider the view. Quality varies greatly from one manufacturer to another, so I'd rely on the sample picture quality to determine "better."
Old Oct 6, 2003, 2:07 PM   #6

You sound a little confused in your message...you talk about getting a telephoto lens but then you talk about .5 or .45 lenses which are the OPPOSITE, they are wide angle lenses...which are you looking for? Tele's don't have the decimal point.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 6:18 AM   #7

I am confused. :roll:

It's a wide angle lense, and I was trying to figure out if a .5 or a .45 was the better choice.

sorry for the mix up.