Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Lense recomendation

Hello everyone!

Got my Digital Rebel a few days ago, a wonderful camera..

But when I tried shooting a Handball game the bundled lens wasn't enough. I need more zoom.
I figured at least > 200 is required.

Could anyone recommend me a good lens within my price range for my purpose.

I can't spend more then 400$

Thanks in advance.

/Ludvig
ludde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:39 PM   #2

The problem is tha tlogne zooms cost more money. They require more materials, and they are harder to make (all other things being equal.)

Can you use a tripod or monopod at the events? A monopod is often allowed when a tripod isn't. That will help with sharpness of the pictures.

I assume you will be mostly using inside? The problem with indoor photography is that it has less light than outdoors (usually.) This means that you need a lower fstop (smaller number) to allow you to get the faster shutter speeds that are required to stop action. But lower fstop lenses are more expensive. They have more materials and are harder to make the lenses for (more materials, so more places for flaws in the lenses so more faulty parts are made.)

Ho wmuch does optical quality matter to you? Some quick looks at the web site I normally look at for lens info doesn't show anything I'd recommend near that price. But I am rather picky about sharpness and lens quality.

Eric

The other problem will be that you will need something which focuses fairly fast, or you will need to be able to anticipate the location that the action will be and prefocus the camera. Faster focusing lenses are more expensive.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 1:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

Space is kind of limited, so no form of tripod is possible I'm afraid. And yes, it's always indoors. Although I'm always able to sit down so I can get a pretty stable shot.

Optical quality is important; I'm looking for good quality on an A5 or maybe A4 printout.

Focusing isn't that big of an issue, it is always fairly easy to anticipate where the action will be and I'll have no trouble focusing before the shot.

How much do you think I'll have to spend to get a good lens?

Thanx again

/Ludvig
ludde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 4:41 PM   #4

I've been looking for lenses for the same camera. You might want to look at the Sigma 24-70 2.8 for $400 at Wolf Camera (and not much cheaper via online websites).

No, it's not the 200mm you say you need, but remember the digital rebel has a 1.6 multiplier. ...so you are getting about 112mm out of it. But it's a fast lens (2.8) and can be shot hand held.

Then you would be able to crop and zoom on your computer.

If you buy from a local dealer (I am not a dealer) you'll usually be able to return the lens if it doesn't work out and you can try another one.

I'm going with the Quantarey 70-300m for my telephoto needs. It's an f/3.5 - 5.6 I think and it's about $200. However, my sports shots are for outdoors.

Indoors sports is an expensive situation. you want long range and fast speed. These are very expensive lenses -- and they are very large and heavy lenses. Without the ability for a tripod you are going to be even more in need of a fast lense -- maybe even image stabilized. Very expensive.

Wish I had better news for you.

Nonny
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:24 PM   #5

You should really be asking this in the Canon Lens section, as the question really applies to what lenses fit your 300D.

The problem is that you was good optical quality (expensive) that works in low light (larger max f-stop = expensive.) At least you don't require fast focusing (which would add more money.) But you only want to spend $400. The normal lenses for what you describe are a lot more than that.

There is nothing that I would consider has optics of "good quality" in you price range, that also works in lower light. Sigma makes a good 70-200 F2.8 but it's $700.

Then again, maybe you don't need that much reach. How far away are you in a handball game? 10 feet? 20 feet? Maybe Canon's 28-135 would do it, but its f3.5-5.6. F5.6 will probably not work indoors.

leebase might be right, that sigma might be your only choice (because it's f2.8 and cost) but only you know if it has got enough reach. I would fear not, but I truly don't know how close you can get.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote