Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:05 PM   #11

I really don't have much experience with monoculars. My understanding is that they are not going to give you the image quality that a good teleconverter can. Still, if you need the telephoto power, it's really your only way to go other than stacking teleconverters or going dslr. I do have a raynox 3.55x monocular. The image quality is not the greatest (worse that the crystal vue I think) But I still find myself using it (stacked with a teleconverter even) when I really need to reach out there. It is certainlly going to be beter than digital zoom.
Steve did a review on it by the way.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/sharpshooter.html
He seems to think it is a resonable value for the price. As long as you realize that it is going to have cromatic aberation and a little quality loss, it can still get the job done I suspect. It probably wont have the optical clarity of you beter teleconverters though.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:05 PM   #12

I really don't have much experience with monoculars. My understanding is that they are not going to give you the image quality that a good teleconverter can. Still, if you need the telephoto power, it's really your only way to go other than stacking teleconverters or going dslr. I do have a raynox 3.55x monocular. The image quality is not the greatest (worse that the crystal vue I think) But I still find myself using it (stacked with a teleconverter even) when I really need to reach out there. It is certainlly going to be beter than digital zoom.
He seems to think it is a resonable value for the price. As long as you realize that it is going to have cromatic aberation and a little quality loss, it can still get the job done I suspect. It probably wont have the optical clarity of you beter teleconverters though.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:06 PM   #13

Old Nov 12, 2003, 4:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman
What do you think about Crystal Vue lens? Is it better than teleconverter?
The CrystalVue 8X is one of the best in terms of resolution; however, it does show more chromatic aberration. Take a look at my Coolpix 4500 user guide for a number of comparisons pages on CrystalVue 8X, Kenko 8X, Kenko 6X, Nikon TelescoMicro 6X and a Russian reflector (perhaps) 14X. These pages are listed near the bottom under the section title "Odd Stuffs".

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 4:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman
What do you think about Crystal Vue lens? Is it better than teleconverter?
The CrystalVue 8X is one of the best in terms of resolution; however, it does show more chromatic aberration. Take a look at my Coolpix 4500 user guide for a number of comparisons pages on CrystalVue 8X, Kenko 8X, Kenko 6X, Nikon TelescoMicro 6X and a Russian reflector (perhaps) 14X. These pages are listed near the bottom under the section title "Odd Stuffs".

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
Old Nov 12, 2003, 5:17 PM   #16

Default ignore this one please (NT)

Due to something strange that happened to this site, this is a duplication. Sorry.

CK
Old Nov 13, 2003, 1:58 AM   #17

The same thing happened to me. I got some sort of error message that my email account could not be verified. I didn't think the post even went through but it aparentlly double posted later.
It did it again, it said could not find email template file topic_notify