Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:15 AM   #1

Default Help - Telephoto Lens

Hi Guys, appreciate some help here - I own a Canon Powershot A40 and I would like to get a Telephoto lens for it. I know Canon has it's own Telephoto lens for this camera but it is pricy compared to some lenses I found on ebay. The question is are these lenses on ebay - eg: Titanium Digital Optics 2.5X http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30066 or Opteka High Definition Telephoto Lens http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30066 any good? Are any of you using one? and are you happy with your purchase. Any info is appreciated.
Terapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:49 PM   #2

No on both these tele lenses. Get an Olympus TCON-17 which is a 1.7x that will not degrade your images. The two you are considering are seriously worthless for good photography.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 2:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
No on both these tele lenses. Get an Olympus TCON-17 which is a 1.7x that will not degrade your images. The two you are considering are seriously worthless for good photography.

Lin
I would agree that the titanium/digital optics and the opteka are garbage. I am not so sure that the tcon-17 is the best lens for the a40 though. I have actually had people on dpreview (I am learning too) recomend that I search through Lins posts and or try to ask him questions as he is an expert on lenses. Expert or not, he is certainlly more knoledgable than me (based on what I have read from his posts as well as responses to my questions), So I offer a conflicting opinion with reservation.
The tcon-17 is a very good lens but the a40 does not need that large of glass. If you use a g series camera, the canon lens is 1.7x (same as the tcon-1.7) so why not go for the olympus? It has exceptional optical clarity. With the a40 (or any a series except for the a80), The canon teleconverter is 2.4x and a little cheaper than the 1.7x canon lens for the g series (tc-dc58n if I recall right). While the olympus lens may have beter optical clarity, the canon lens still has very good optical clarity (or so I have been leed to believe). I would think that the higher magnification would be worth it and the canon lens is suposed to be very good quallity.
Lin, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this though, as I certainlly may be missing something and may be incorect.
These are the only sample shots of the canon tc-dc52 2.4x that I have handy (their someone elses by the way, I have other teleconverters). I havent really examined the quality that close on these particular shots.
http://www.pbase.com/jamiewillmott/tcdc52_test
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 8:04 AM   #4

Hi Guys,

No problem with the Canon teleconvcerter and if it's less money go for it! The image you posted are fine with no serious distortion or chromatic aberration so the Canon tele is working very well with this camera. There are a few others which would work as well, but if the Canon is available it's an excellent choice.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Oct 6, 2003, 7:17 AM   #5

Thanks Lin, much appreciated - I had a feeling they were worthless - good things not cheap !

Well I'm gonna go look for the Olympus - is this a lens you own tried? Do you know of anyting with a greater magnification like a 3X?

Thanks again
Old Oct 6, 2003, 7:31 AM   #6

Thanks Richrdh as well - thanks for the sample pics too - though the canon tele is definitely a good buy - I would like to have something with greater magnification - any ideas?
Old Oct 6, 2003, 7:46 AM   #7

There are only two good 3x teleconverters available which I am familiar with. The Kenko 3x is not good in my experience and the very excellent Nikon TC-E3 will only work with the tiny Nikon lenses.

That leaves only the Olympus TCON-300, but it has two issues which make it less than satisfactory for most applications. First, it was built for the Olympus E10/E20 and does not screw on to the filter threads, but instead is connected by an included proprietary "brace" which fastens to the camera's tripod mount on one end and to the lens on the other. This connector brace holds the lens in very close proximity to the camera's objective lens (about .0020 inch) and provides a replacement tripod mount on the bottom.

The problem is that it will only work with the Olympus E10/E20 so to use the lens with any other camera, the user must fabricate their own mount. Unless you are a competent machinist with access to a good machine shop which has an optical comparitor, you will have to have the connector brace custom fabricated to your camera and the TCON-300. The cost will be approximately $100 to have this done.

The second issue is that you must focus this lens independently of the camera like a telescope and the lens is very expensive - maybe more than you paid for your camera. My TCON-300 cost me a little over $600, but I've seen used ones on EBAY for around $450 or so. It's really a lot of work for a less than simple solution.

Unfortunately I know of no other decent telephoto adapters which go 3x.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:52 PM   #8

Before I bought any teleconverters I looked around quite a bit. The only thing 3x I found was the kenko which Lin says isn't very good (I couldn't find anybody that tried it on a canon so I wasn't even sure if it would vinyette or not). The other one I found was a raynox dvr-3000. No one had this lens locally (only a few places had it online). It had a 37mm mount so there was a high risk vinyeting though some 37mm lenses will not vinyette. I had no idea about the optical quality so it was too much money to gamble. I wound up getting a raynox 3.55x lens on ebay for about 35$ (I think this lens is native to japan so good luck finding one). The quality was less the exelent though beter much beter than digital zoom so I still sometimes use it in a pinch. It's ok for my home use shots for 35$ but if I had paid 150$ for the dvr-3000 and got that quality I would have felt realy cheated. The canon tc-dc52 2.4 times is your safest bet with teleconverters, though there are others out there if you feel like gambling (or are luck enought to find one locally or find someone that has used one on an a70).
Just fyi, there are also monoculars that are 5x or 8x. I am not sure of the quality but if you go to the accesory reviews here Steve has reviewed a few of them. I would think this might compliment the canon teleconverter well if the quality is acceptable but even my 3.55x one is too much power for many circumstances so something 8x is only going to be usable when you want to reach way out there. The 2.4x is a much more usesable all around telephoto lens.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:56 PM   #9

Thanks Lin, richardh

I guess once everything is said and done the best bang for the buck is the Canon TC-DC52. One thing with Canon is they sure know their optics. Thanks anyway guys - all the advise was much appreciated and I've learnt quite a bit about lenses in the process.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:10 AM   #10

What do you think about Crystal Vue lens?
Is it better than teleconverter?

Thanks in advance

Silverman
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote