Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Lenses for a Sony DSC-FD717

I am looking for suggestions for the best add-on lenses for a Sony 717. I am interested in getting a Wide-Angle and also a Telescope lens. Any help is greatly appreciated!
gary_hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:01 PM   #2

Gary

I have the Sony VCL-HGD1758 Tele lens. It is 1.7x and does a really nice job. I have really liked the images that I get with this setup. I have used it at full tele with digital zoom on, with very little quality lost.

Two things about this lens, it is heavy and you get venyetting at wide angle with it. You will want a good tripod with this setup, and the same with the Sony Wide Angle, its the same size.

I have read that some of the others are not so good on this camera, but I have not tried them myself.

I plan on buying the Sony Wide Angle soon, as I have been told it is a good lense.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:42 PM   #3

Default Re: Lenses for a Sony DSC-FD717

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_hendricks
I am looking for suggestions for the best add-on lenses for a Sony 717. I am interested in getting a Wide-Angle and also a Telescope lens. Any help is greatly appreciated!
The Sony VCL-HGD1758 1.7X is for the 717. IMO, its image quality is not as good as the Olympus TCON-17, also a 1.7X tele-converter. Moreover, the VCL-HGD1758 is very heavy, very big, and very expensive. If the use of a 58-55 step-down ring plus the Olympus TCON-17 on your 717 does not cause vignetting and/or light fall-off, I would strongly recommend the Olympus TCON-17. I have both tele-converters for Coolpix 4500 and 5700. After a long period of intensive use and testing, my conclusion is that the Olympus TCON-17 is slightly sharper than the Sony. However, since I do not have a 717, you might take a few test shots before making any decision. Furthermore, the TCON-17 is cheaper, perhaps slightly more than 50% of the Sony. So, give the TCON-17 a try.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:20 AM   #4

I have the TCON 17 and it works very well with my Olympus cameras. You can also look at www.raynox for lens for your camera
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote