Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 29, 2008, 8:51 PM   #1

Any tips for macro lenses for my new H50 Sony Digital Cammera? Thanks

Luis
lgurovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:36 PM   #2

The H50 has excellent built in macro capabilities. Try using it's macro capabilities and then see if there's a shortcoming.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:50 PM   #3

I just bought a Sony H50 and I'm having trouble understanding the macro capabilities. Is there any detailed instructions anywhere that's available ? The User Manual that came with the camerais of no benefit at all.

When I set the macro funtion to "on" and get close up, it's all still out of focus.

Thanks,

Steve

Tampa, FL
stevectpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:49 PM   #4

I'd suggest asking this question in the Sony forum. For a Kodak Z*12 the process is as you describe except that I half press the shutter to see if the camera focuses (that is, if I'm at an acceptable distance.)

A. C.

Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:53 PM   #5

A.C., Thanks for the reply. What a would you consider an acceptable distance? I bought a digital camera guide book by Tom Ang, and he says that you should be able to take great macro photos with cameras such as the H50 and he shows examples like a drop of dew ready to drip of a leaf. I'd guess that you'd need to be very close with the camers ( < 12" ) and need extra light. I can't get within 4 feet or so of anything wihout it still being out of focus with the H50. With my old Nikon 35mm SLR, I could get very close and have perfect resolution within a few inches. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the H50.

Any further thoughts ? Does anyone have examples of macro photos taken with an H50 and the specifications, i.e., distance from subject, ISO, speed, aperture......I'm just trying to determine if I'm doing something that's obviously wrong.

Thanks again! Steve
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:31 PM   #6

stevectpa wrote:
Quote:
What a would you consider an acceptable distance?
What I mean by an acceptable distance is one that is within the cameras focus range.

Now I'm going to have to charge extra because you're making me dig into the H50 manuals:-)

The H50 Handbook, pg. 30 provides the following, "The shortest shooting distance is aprox. 1 cm (13/32") at W/A and 120 cm (3' 11 1/4") from the front of the lens."

This seems to be correct based on this camparison between my Z612 and your H50 here: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...3560&ph=16

Based on the above a photo of a water droplet appears within reason. The difference between the H50 and the macro modes of most camerasseems to be that focusing is continuous between the macro distances and infinity and the macro switch on the camera simply alters the bias on the auto-focusing system to prefer near targets withing the the scene over more distant targets within the scene.

Not being able to focus closer than 4' suggest that you are zoomed to maximum telephoto. Most, but not quite all, zoom lenses achieve maximum image magnification in their close-up (macro) ranges at the W/A settings. The sample photo at the link was most likely done at the widest angle setting.

What are you really trying to shoot and could you post a couple of samples of the unsatisfactory photos with the EXIF info intact? That would help analyze the problem.

A. C.

Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:55 PM   #7

A.C.,

Thanks...I think I have figured it out based on your suggestions. Just a lack of experience on my part. It took me a while, but believe that I understand the limitations. There should be a picture of a dime attached. You were right...the first time I was attempting to get too close to the subject with the camera fully zoomed. I appreciate the help. Charge my account!

Steve

Tampa, FL
Attached Images