Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2003, 3:41 PM   #1

Default LENS COMPATIBILITY QUESTION ... PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone. I'm the new guy and I have a question which is probably rediculous about lens compatibility. If I have a 52mm adaptor tube and want to attach the Vivitar 28-300 what am I missing? Vivitar makes this AF lens for Nikon, Canon, and Minolta, so are these standard sizes and styles? ...ie is the Canon AF mount a standard 37mm threaded, or is it a bayonet? If something nonstandard, is there an adaptor which goes from a 52mm threaded to a Canon, Nikon, or Minolta AF lens??? Thanks for any help..

Caleb
Rotorhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:58 PM   #2

I'm only guessing here, based on what I know.

The lenses that Vivitar makes will have Bayonet mounts. At least canon, Nikon both use them. What are you trying to attach the lens too? If it's a fixed lens camera, I know of no way to do that. If you could, you certainly wouldn't get AF on that lens.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:45 PM   #3

what is missing is a detailed discription of whats going on.

camera body
lens model and lens mount (whos?)

this 52mm adapter tube. adapter tube to what?

all camera body manufacturers mounts are bayonet types keyed differently

if it is to a DSLR there are currently no adapters tubes that convert from one manufacturer to another. comm protacols differ and there is a bit of electronic in lenses today. when lens manufacturer creates a lens for 3 different make camera bodies. there will be 3 distinct different lenses made in 3 different mounts with 3 differently programmed processors in the lenses to match the bodies.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:46 AM   #4

So if I had a Digital Sony MVC CD 400 with an adaptor tube to take it out to a 52mm threaded mount, I can't use a 52mm threaded to bayonet adaptor which would make any of these AF models work with my camera??? How about manual focus? Basically, I want to get a lens in the 28-300mm range to stack onto my Mavica adaptor tube. Also I'd like to use one in the 600mm to 1200mm ranges for wildlife photography. Thanks for the help
Rotorhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 3:10 AM   #5

Gottcha now...for this type of camera (once you get the tube adapter) you use special fixed lenses called converters (not to be confused with the converter you add between the lens and the body of an SLR).

Once you get the tele-converter (wide-angle converter, macro-converter, etc.), you use the controls on the camera just as you normally would...just you would be so much closer (or wider, etc.) depending on the X factor of the converter.

Here's a page showing various Raynox converters on the Sony MVC-CD300/400/500 with example pictures available:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/cd500/index.htm

Sony also have their own converters available, but I'm mostly familiar with Raynox.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 3:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead1
So if I had a Digital Sony MVC CD 400 with an adapter tube to take it out to a 52mm threaded mount, I can't use a 52mm threaded to bayonet adapter which would make any of these AF models work with my camera???
Keep in mind that lenses for SLR and DSLR cameras and front-mounting "converter lenses" for consumer digital cameras are TWO optical system. The SLR/DSLR lenses have focal points. In other words, the subjects in the scene are focused on the film or sensor plane of the camera. On the other hand, front-mounting converter lenses are the so-called afocal system that does not have a focal point. In other words, parallel incoming light rays will exit in parallel, although the bundle size of the incoming and exiting rays are different. As a result, the incoming rays do not focus at any point. Or, one might say they focus at infinity. Therefore, you will not be able to use a SLR/DSLR lens on a consumer digital camera, even though you could find a bayonet to thread ring, because they are two different system.

There are two possibilities. FIRST, reverse your lens and mount it on your camera. Once a SLR lens is reversed, it becomes a high diopter macro lens, although optical quality depends on the lens and vignetting may occur. But, this is the easy way. SECOND, you find a monoscope adapter, usually made by the same lens company, that converts the lens to a monoscope. Then, you can use an adapter to mount the monoscope to your camera. This is an expensive approach and does not have guaranteed quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead1
How about manual focus? Basically, I want to get a lens in the 28-300mm range to stack onto my Mavica adaptor tube. Also I'd like to use one in the 600mm to 1200mm ranges for wildlife photography.
Because you may not be able to use your 28-300 on your Marvica, auto or manual focus is no more the issue. To get to super telephoto, a better and easy way is to buy a monoscope that is designed for digital camera. If you can find an adapter tube with one end screwed on the camera and another has a female thread of some popular size (e.g., 37mm), you may consider Kenko 8X or CrystalVue 8X. Both will extend the focal length of 102mm to 800mm+. Please refer to my Nikon Coolpix 4500 User Guide for some popular monoscope tele-converters. They are discussed near the bottom of the home page. Then, you may try Adorama www.adorama.com or CKCpower www.ckcpower.com for the product. However, you have to check for compatibility.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:13 AM   #7

what they said
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote