Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2003, 4:53 PM   #1

Default Newbie question regarding best lens for EOS300D

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and have returned to the world of photography by buying the new canon Eos 300D or digital rebel as it is called outside the UK.

This camera has a F3.5 - F5.6, 18 - 55 mm Zoom EF-S lens which appears to be good, I was wondering what everyones views are regarding the next Canon Lens I should buy.

I would be interested in using my camera for general portraits of the family and also photo's of aircraft at shows not just flying aircraft. I am considering the Canon EF 80-200mm/F4.5-5.6 or the Canon EF 75-300mm/F4-5.6 (III-NON USM) but not sure which would be the next best step, I am aware that a tripod would be required for these lenses, I would also be pleased if someone could advise me on USM and what it means....is it good or bad and why.

Sorry for so many questions on my first message in this group, any help will greatly be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Curryholic
curryholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:04 PM   #2

I would recommend reading in the Canon Lens section. The answers to almost all your questions have been the topic of much discussion there for the past few weeks.

As to USM. It stands for Ultra Sonic Motor. What it means to you and me is that the camera will focus faster and do it quietly. It is a desireable thing. If I had a choice, I would never get a lens that did not have USM (or the equivalent in a non-Cannon lens.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 6:34 AM   #3

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for the reply. Don't you just love it when someone (Me) asks a question thats been answered a 1000 times before in the forum. normally I look first before posting. but this one must have escaped me ops:

Thanks again

Curryholic
curryholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 9:59 AM   #4

I don't mind as much if it were for:

1) There was a better place to post. You might not have been aware of that. If not, then you would never have seen #2.

2) It has just been a huge topic of conversation. I only know this because I just participated in a lot of it. I was researching just such a lens, and got the 17-40L f4. It wasn't cheap (about $800) but it is much better quality than the next closest competitor (a sigma which is f2.8. f2.8 is very nice, but I wanted the better quality optics.)

Hey, we all do this some times. You're in a hurry and you just need a quick answer. Give back some info to the group (or some nice pictures) and all will be forgiven.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote