Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 21, 2003, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Tiffen teleconverters?

I recentlly got a tiffen teleconverter for a very good price. It is not as good as one of my other 2x teleconverters (I think, I haven't use it much yet), but it is much smaler and lighter, and actually lets me use more of the zoom range (5 of seven zoom steps). For 10$ new I had to jump at it. My much larger heavier 2x actualy only lets me use 4 zoom steps. It might serve beter as a cary around everywhere lens due to size and weight, not to mention my wife can use it if I am using the beter one or vica versa.
What I am wondering is this is not the megaplus. I am just curious if anybody is farmiliar with this lens and possibly how it compares to the megaplus. I could not find any information on tiffens site about it. I think it may be an older model (which is why I got it so cheap). It is the 49mm version shown here
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...le-combos.html
Can anybody confirm that this is an older model? I cannot even find anybody selling it to get a comparitive cost. I'm just curious about it and cannot find any info.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2003, 1:30 AM   #2

Default Re: Tiffen teleconverters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardh
II could not find any information on tiffens site about it. I think it may be an older model (which is why I got it so cheap). It is the 49mm version shown here
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...le-combos.html
Can anybody confirm that this is an older model? I cannot even find anybody selling it to get a comparitive cost. I'm just curious about it and cannot find any info.
Yes, this is an old model that was popular some three years ago. It was a reasonably good lens when it was available; but, it is not as good as Nikon's TC-E2. It has a few problems: (1) not a real 2X, (2) significant chromatic aberration, and (3) poor corner sharpness.

The current Tiffen is the MegaPlus as shown below. The MegaPlus is a much better lens than the old version. I suspect that the old version is re-branded from an old Kenko because they look almost identical.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 2:59 AM   #3

Thanks, I was just curious. I like this one because it is small and light. I have a beter lens already for more important shots but it is kind of big and heavy to lug around and it is a lot of weight to hang off of the camera so I have to be carfull. At least it is not as bad as the kenko sgt-20 I have (got that one really cheap too, I really didn't need it).
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote