Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 27, 2003, 4:05 PM   #1

Default Opteka Lenses

Has anyone had any experience with the Opteka Tele and Wide lenses?

I am a newbie to add on lenses and looking for some reasonable lenses, 2.0 -2.5X Tele and .45X - .5X at a reasonable price. Add on lenses in Oz are expensive and hard to get (TCON $200 and WCON $200+). I will be using these lenses on an Olympus C750. I am far from a pro and do not need fantastic reults, just good quality photos. Have tried Digital Optics and discovered they are not what they are purported to be, as I have already posted. What I found with these lenses is the Wide only gave me about .63X and the Tele gives a best of approx. 1.5X - measurements taken from photos. Also with the Tele things that I could see relatively clearly
in the distance with the naked eye would not even appear in the photo, just a blur - tripod and remote used.

Wish I had found this forum before purchasing.

On another note I thought I read somewhere that the lenses on the C740/750 were redesigned and that the C700/C730 lenses would not work correctly on these cameras, is this true? As a number of sellers are selling add on lenses to suit C700 up tp C750.

Hope someone can help.
rbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2003, 4:29 PM   #2

If you want a good trusty brand, look at Raynox lenses...their 6600Pro WA-Conv has no noticable barrel distortion and it's a .66x (even their .72x has some BD). They also have teleconverters. Also, you can see actual examples of their lenses on the C-750! Check out:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...50uz/index.htm

Just click on any picture of the camera for sample images using that particular lens.

Many people in the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group mentioned in my signature do use this brand if you want to ask them any questions. I'm personally looking at getting Raynox's Macro and SuperMacro lenses.

p.s. Although I mention Raynox a lot, I don't work for them, I just like their lenses, and the fact they actually show you examples using the specific cameras.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 6:50 PM   #3

Thanks for replying Mike,

I have noticed your posts elsewhere. The only problem I have with Raynox lenses is the cost in Australia the HD-6600 Pro sells for $330, and I cannot find anyone that sells the DCR-1850 Pro. I also gather from looking at some of the lenses other than their upper end ones that they also make the "crap" unit being sold as Digital Optics, Titanium etc. is this so?

Thanks

Russell Binnion
Old Oct 29, 2003, 5:14 AM   #4

I don't have any personal experience on this, but it would seem that living in Austrailia, you beter pretty much get prepared to get screwed. Please dont take that in a mean way as I didn't mean it that way, but hearing posts from others there and seeing what things cost, you seem to prety much always get screwed. Opteka lenses are on the same quality level as those digital optics/titanium/crystal optics lenses. They are crap.
As far as raynox goes, they make some cheap stuff and they make some expensive stuff. I do not do much with wide angle. I have a olympus 0.8 lens that I have not used in months. It seems that raynox comes up often when people are discussing wide angle though so it might be worth a further look. Perhaps they have an intermediate model that will suite your needs. If it were my money at the prices you are paying, I would be very carfull and do my research, but are there any raynox models that might be of resonable quality? It wouldn't hurt see what they make.
Personally I am more into telephoto and though I own one raynox lens, I would not recomend it (it's a camcorder monocular though). All in all, If I were paying the prices you are, I would take my time and look into many diffrent lenses before I made a decision. You may just have to pay through the ass to get a good lens, so take your time and dont jump to any decisions.
That probably didn't help much, did it?
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 3:39 AM   #5

Default Raynox Lenses

Thanks Mike, I got some NEW Raynox lenses for a very, very good price off Ebay. The 1.54X and the 6600 Pro. They actually work, unlike the Digital Optics. As the saying goes "you only get what you pay for". They only ended up costing $100 Australian more than what I paid for the other garbage. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
If you want a good trusty brand, look at Raynox lenses...their 6600Pro WA-Conv has no noticable barrel distortion and it's a .66x (even their .72x has some BD). They also have teleconverters. Also, you can see actual examples of their lenses on the C-750! Check out:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...50uz/index.htm

Just click on any picture of the camera for sample images using that particular lens.

Many people in the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group mentioned in my signature do use this brand if you want to ask them any questions. I'm personally looking at getting Raynox's Macro and SuperMacro lenses.

p.s. Although I mention Raynox a lot, I don't work for them, I just like their lenses, and the fact they actually show you examples using the specific cameras.
:lol: :lol: :lol: