Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 4, 2003, 7:00 AM   #1

Default Add-on lenses and color fringing...

Greetings,

Yesterday I was in a camera shop looking at teleconverter lenses for my A70. I don't want to get the TC-DC52, because I'm planning to eventually move up to a G series model, and the TC-DC52 is unsuitable for that (if you've never seen it, the rear lens is about the size of a dime)

I was looking for a Tiffen 2x, or a Raynox 1850, both of which have decent samples available online from a G3 or G5. Unfortunately the store didn't carry either. The gentleman behind the counter let me try out a Kenko KUT-300HI, but they didn't have any of the lens adapters in stock, so I was forced to simply hand-hold the lens in front of the camera.

It looks like an attractive choice for this camera... I can zoom back 2 or 3 steps before vignetting sets in... it's slightly more powerful than the 2.4x TC-DC52, it has the same 52mm threads (with an included adapter), and the rear lens is quite large... possibly large enough to use with the G3/G5 at full zoom (haven't tried that yet).

Now to the point of my problem... when I examined the photos at home, the ones through the kenko lens had bluish fringing and reddish fringing on opposite sides of any high-contrast area... such as white tags hanging on the black camera bags on the shelf.

Is this due to the lens being a poor match for the A70's lens, or poor quality in the lens itself, or is it perhaps because I was hand-holding it without using a converter? I'm just wondering if maybe I wasn't holding the lens exactly centered, or exactly perpendicular to the plane of the CCD, or perhaps ambient light from the sides was reflecting on the rear of the converter.... who knows. Is it worth it for me to buy a lens adapter elsewhere (which I plan to do eventually anyway), and then return to the store and try the lens again with the adapter?

Thanks in advance...
Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2003, 8:34 AM   #2

Well, I just did get a Kenko closeup set for $3...OK, they were used.

I suppose if I did try a high-end closeup I'd notice a difference, but if you're having trouble with a lens, stay away from it.

The nice thing about the Raynox website is they actually SHOW you what the image looks like on the particular camera. If the Raynox image looks good on both cameras, get that one.

CA (chromatic abberration) means it's not the best lens, or best combination...you'll kick yourself later if you buy that lens, and have to fix every picture you use it on!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 12:48 PM   #3

More of a question to others than anything else....

I wonder if not holding the lens perfectly parallel with the camera could cause the problem. I don't know, just a thought.

Kenko makes good stuff in general, but I know nothing about their add-on lenses. Some of the Raynox lenses are not worth the money, but they make some decent stuff as well. Definitely check out their sample pictures.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 6:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies...

Yes, I've checked out the Raynox website, and many others (all I could find with comparison shots). From looking at samples of the 1850, and looking at Kazutoku's site with samples of the Tiffen 2x vs the Kenko 2x, that is why I chose either the 1850 or the Tiffen. I mentioned to the store salesman that the quality of the shots from the Tiffen 2x were better than the Kenko 2x (KNT-20)... he replied that they only carried the better quality Kenko lenses... the lenses with the 'HI' suffix were better than the standard Kenko line. That is why I decided to take the time to try out the KUT-300HI.

I'm planning to stop back by and at least try it out with the converter on it instead of hand-holding it... if that removes the fringing problem then I'll probably buy it.

Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 7:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG
From looking at samples of the 1850, and looking at Kazutoku's site with samples of the Tiffen 2x vs the Kenko 2x, that is why I chose either the 1850 or the Tiffen. I mentioned to the store salesman that the quality of the shots from the Tiffen 2x were better than the Kenko 2x (KNT-20)... he replied that they only carried the better quality Kenko lenses... the lenses with the 'HI' suffix were better than the standard Kenko line. That is why I decided to take the time to try out the KUT-300HI.
If the Tiffen is the MegaPlus version, it is a good lens although it is not the top one. Raynox has not been able to produce top notch converter lenses and some of Raynox lenses are [email protected] Some Kenko lenses look very similar to some Tiffen's. If you do not mind a little shorter, the best one is Olympus TCON-17 1.7X converter for $99 http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...&sku=IOMTCON17 The drawback of this TCON-17 is big! BTW, the quality of KUT-300H is that good. The best 3X converter is Nikon's TC-E3ED which cannot be used on your A70.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote