Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 11, 2003, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Need help choosing a telephoto lens for an Olympus C-4000

Hi. Let me first start out by saying that any help that you can give me is truly appreciated. I recently bought an Olympus C-4000. I really love the camera but I have decided that I need to get a telephoto lens.
What brand is the best when purchasing a telephoto lens? I have already saw a few threads on the Canon TC-DC52. It looks like a good telephoto lens but I do not know if I can use it with the Olympus C-4000. Would I be able to buy a lens adaptor so that I can use a Canon lens? If there are any better telephoto lenses please tell me about them.
Wissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2003, 4:05 PM   #2

I suggest looking at Raynox lenses. I have a Canon wide angle .7x, and I'm only moderately happy with it (compared to the Raynox DCR-6600PRO, which I'll probably buy next year). Here's a page showing the lenses on a C-4040 closest they have to the C-4000), as well as sample shots:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egolyc4040z.htm
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 4:18 PM   #3

I was looking at the Raynox but then I saw some threads on here that were saying to stay away from them. Do you know how the Raynox lenses compare to the Olympus lenses? There is not really much information on the Olympus webite about the Olympus lenses. Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 2:57 AM   #4

Olympus are very good and are a perfect mate for the Oly cameras, but they aren't very affordable.

In regards to comments about Raynox, you have to look at what camera the person making the comment is using because that makes a BIG difference...not every camera will work with a lens as well as other cameras. I know in my case I use a Canon .7x wide-angle lens (bought before I learned about the Raynox) and it has severe barel distortion...the Raynox .66x (DCR-6600Pro) wide angle has almost no barrel distortion when used with the C-7x0 (although with some other cameras it might have BD).

Suggest what you do is look at the Raynox comments from the Olympus forum here only and see what the people there say. It looks like no one else here is responding to this anyway, and in this case it would be better to go to a forum with people who use the same kind of camera as you.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 7:16 PM   #5

Thanks for your help. I will try the Olympus Forum.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 7:28 PM   #6

I have the Olympus Tcon 17 and it is an excellent 1.7X telephoto. You will need an adapter that can be purchased from www.2filters.com. They may also be able to sell you the Tcon. The Tcon sells for $99 at JR Music and is where I purchased mine. Follow this link:

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...uct_Id=3699202
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote