Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 27, 2002, 7:14 PM   #11

Herb,
That picture is really great (except for the whole dead thing) ! I made a homemade macro lens with instructions from Mike for my old sony camera.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...sername=amiga7

Of course I used a really cheap magnifying glass and broke open a pair of kids binoculars for mine, so the quality wasn't that great.

I will definitely try your idea, I even checked on e-bay and there are some nice binoculars there for $5-10.

How did you make yours?
Thanks,
Jessa

I'm going to try posting your picture, I hope you don't mind.
butterflysdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 10:35 PM   #12

Jessa,

No, I didn't mind - though you sem to have run into the same problem with linking to Sony Image Station! However, you have obviously managed to see the picture at Image Sation, so I've added - to the same album - a picture of my Olympus & of my two supplementary lenses. (There are two of them because there were, of course, two lenses in the 7x50 binoculars, so I thought I might as well make a spare one).

The great thing about 7x50 (or 10x50) binoculars is that the 50mm objective lenses are pretty well exacly the same diameter as the Olympus C2100UZ lens barrel.

All I did was remove the lenses from the binoculars, keeping them in their metal lens cells. I cut a strip of plastic (I think I used an old Javex bottle, though I could have used cardboard instead), and stuck some adhesive-backed felt on the strip, leaving about a half-inch if the plastic bare. Then I stuck some double-sided adhesive round the lens cell. Having done that, I rolled the plastic into a tube by wrapping it round the Olympus lens barrel, felt side in, and also wrapping the bare part of the plastic round the binocular lens, in it's cell. The double-sided adhesive already stuck to the lens cell sticks to the inside of the tube. Then, to make the tube keep it's shape, I wrapped the whole thing with strapping tape. This produced a felt-lined tube with the binocular lens at one end, that was a nice close push fit over the Olympus lens barrel - I just push it on the barrel whenever I need to use it. I think the pictures will give you the idea - one tube is sitting with the lens facing down & the other with the lens facing up.

As I think I mentioned, I find I don't use the Macro setting with the binocular lens - the zoom gives me all the magnification I need - and more! The bigger the magnification, the shallower the depth of focus of course.

As before, go to Sony Image Station, look under the user name ngire and then in the Miscellany album. The picture's the last one in the album.

I hope all this makes sense!
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 4:24 AM   #13

So I got out the old 16x50 that no one uses and removed the lens. got a 49-55 step ring and attached the lens to that.. screwed to uzi and hey preston a macro lens

The only problem is it only focuses in the middle of the picture and everyhting around is out of focus..

The lens is about an inch or so from the uzi lens.

Advice anyone please?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 7:48 AM   #14

Check out www.2filter.com. They are very helpful.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 11:44 AM   #15

Jessa - Yesterday the link that you posted to my wasp picture didn't work: but today, I'm delighted to see that it works! I'll never understand computers.

Tony - My guess is that the reason the objective lens from your 16x50 binoculars produces a picture focused only in the middle of the picture is that they're designed that way. To put it another way, maybe the objective lenses are a bit like telephoto lenses made for a 35mm. camera - they give a good image of what they're intended to capture, but if you used them on 2 1/4 x 3/14 camera, they'd give you an image sharp only in the centre. You did, I assume, mount the lens the same way round as it was in the binoculars?

I think it might be worth your getting an old pair of 7x50 binos and trying a lens from them.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 11:56 AM   #16

Yup here it is attached to a 49-55 stepup ring.

I experimented some more and managed this which has less blur. This is 25% smaller than original

How does this compare in macro to a set of close up lenses +7 closer or?
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:16 PM   #17

Tony - I see your lens is still mounted in the binocular lens barrel - and that, I guess, puts it at least an inch, maybe more, in front of your camera lens. Maybe that accounts for the fall-off in resolution away from the centre? You should be able to remove the lens from the barrel by first unscrewing the black circular cover from the end of the barrel. Then you should be able to unscrew a metal O-ring that holds the lens cell in its place in the barrel. After that you'll be able to position the lens in its cell much closer to the Olympus lens.

Another factor that may have something to do with the fall-off in resolution - may be the closeness of your camera to the object you're photographing. When you get really close, the edges of the thing you photograph are a good deal further away from the lens than is the centre. The depth of focus at high magnification is very shallow, & perhaps the resolution will fall off less towards the edges if you move the camera further away but use more zoom?

Just keep trying - and let us know how you get on!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:47 PM   #18

I read the original wrong and thought it needed to be furthur away from the lens.

I removed the lens as directed and placed back in the other way thus brnging it closer to the camera.. alas not close enough...

The removed the lens and placed an elastic band around it. This then made a perfect snug tight fit into a 49-55 stepup ring. I screw that right into the camera .. But the colour wasnt right.. very hmmm as if the brightness/contrast was out.. using a lens hood and the colours spot on.

Using around x8 zoom (or less) seems to give better results than x10

You can't focus correctly unless you physicaly moved the camera back and forth therefore tripod use is out..

Hand held results are more than worth the effort and I am pleased.. glad I did it and just need to find something good to snap

However i would like tripod and more zoom focus control.. Will a set of close up lens get me as close. closer or less .. anyone know?
Old Oct 29, 2002, 4:27 PM   #19

Tony - You're getting the hang of it! And you're quite right about need to move the camera back & forth to bring things into focus -the autofocus system doesn't help much with the depth of focus so shallow.

And I find that the closer up you are, the less help the image stabilisation system can give. So much so that at 10x you certainly need a firm tripod.

And when I use a tripod, I follow Olympus' instruction & turn image stabilisation off. Why they say you should do this, I don't know, but I guess there must be a reason.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 6:53 AM   #20

:lol: If you have a B-300, put one of the close up filters between it and the camera. This allows you get close ups while staying farther away with the camera. If you are shooting an animal or butterfly, this method doesn't frighten them.
whopperjon is offline   Reply With Quote