Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 3, 2002, 10:55 AM   #1
lg

Default Wide angle lens for C-2100

Can someone recommend a wide angle lens for the Olympus C-2100? I'd like to take indoor pictures of houses to show prospective buyers what their new home will look like. 38mm just isn't wide enough for that feat. How wide would you recommend? From my prior photography experience I know 28mm is about as wide as you can go without any parallax distortion, but is that important in my case?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2002, 11:17 AM   #2

lg,
Olympus makes wide angle, check computers4sure.com Got a telphoto for my 3040z from them was little less than half of retail. there is a compatabilty chart at the olympus site can check to see if right model, its located in there online emporium part of sight.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2002, 8:36 AM   #3
lg

Thanks for the info, Gary. I've tried a Kenko KNW-05 HI, but I am disappointed in the quality. Vignetting at the corners, poor focus, flare and chromatic abberation at all wide angle zoom settings doesn't make this a good choice for me. However, it does cover the field of view I am looking for. By my calculations, this one is the equivalent of a 19mm. They make a PRO model, but it's the same optics, just coated lenses.

Someone has suggested the WCON-08 from Olympus, but on a 38mm lens that only comes out to about 30mm wide angle, and I'm afraid I'd need something with a little wider view for the work I am doing. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 11:27 AM   #4

o8b is for the E-10 e-20, 08e b28 for yours.

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/compatchart.asp

Gary

lg,
If you have more time than buyers theres always panaroma : )

[Edited on 8-4-2002 by Gary Senkus]

[Edited on 8-4-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Old Aug 4, 2002, 11:44 AM   #5

It would be pretty cool to take pictures of rooms with one of these and then post the whole house on a web site so you can direct potential buyers to take a 360 view of everything.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/360one.html
brutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by brutal
It would be pretty cool to take pictures of rooms with one of these and then post the whole house on a web site so you can direct potential buyers to take a 360 view of everything.
The new Olympus Camedia Master Pro 4.0 also has the 360 view feature.
Gary
Old Aug 8, 2002, 12:53 PM   #7
lg

Default WCON-08E is an EXCELLENT lens!

Thanks, Gary and brutal for your input. My WCON-08E lens came in yesterday. It produces pics just as sharp and clear as I have become accustomed with the original Olympus lens on my camera. I haven't notice any flare or CA, and it's not so wide that there is noticeable parallax distortion. I would highly recommend it to anyone needing a wider view for their Olympus C-2100. Please note that with this lens you will need a 49-55mm step-up ring.

While it's not wide enough to get an entire room in one picture, it's easy enough to stitch together a panorama of 3 pics to get the whole room, which is what I wanted. Brutal, I'll have to pass on the $1000 360 degree panorama attachment-- but thanks for offering.

If sharpness isn't critical, and you don't mind cropping the vignetted corners out of every single picture, the Kenko KNW-05 PRO will take an entire room in one shot. (If you've just GOT to have a 19mm wide angle, the PRO has coated lenses and doesn't cost much more than the HI).

I also learned that if you use a flash indoors with either of these lenses, you will get a circular shadow of the lens. I guess if you need flash, you will have to use one off-camera. Food for thought...
Old Sep 6, 2002, 1:03 PM   #8

Can someone tell me whether the WCON-08E is the same as the WCON-08, i.e. is the 'E' significant ?

Thanks,
Kevin
UK
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote