Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 9, 2009, 6:51 PM   #1

Default which hoya filter

Hi,
What is the difference between these two filter ?
Hoya HMC Haze UV(0) - Filter - UV - 67 mm
http://www.amazon.com/...UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260405990&sr=8-1
and

Hoya 67mm HMC Multicoated UV Filter
http://www.amazon.com/...UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260406059&sr=8-6
I am confused which one does what function and which one is better
sangfroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:50 AM   #2
Administrator

Go with the second one from Cameta (a very reputable vendor).

The first one doesn't even appear to be the HMC Version (which is multi-coated to reduce reflections), and it would make a very poor choice if it's not the HMC version (because of flare, and loss of contrast from veiling flare when shooting in harsher lighting).

If you look at photos the of packaging, it's the standard versus HMC version (uncoated). Ditto for the photo of the filter beside the packaging (note that it does not have HMC printed on it). The only place I see HMC is in the third photo (which is a different filter, and the photo looks like it came from someplace else).

The filter from Cameta is also a slim-line type design. A thinner filter will help to reduce vignetting that you will often see with filters.

Note that you will not see improvements in image quality using a UV filter with most modern digital cameras (the images in those listings are very misleading in that area), and you'll risk some degradation of image quality due to flare related issues when using a UV filter.

But, some users like them because they help to protect the lens, and the Hoya HMC filters are about the best you'll do based on tests of filters I've seen (as far as minimizing any flare related issues that you often see with filters).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:27 AM   #3

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

By the way, will I be able to put lens cap on top of these filters ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Go with the second one from Cameta (a very reputable vendor).

The first one doesn't even appear to be the HMC Version (which is multi-coated to reduce reflections), and it would make a very poor choice if it's not the HMC version (because of flare, and loss of contrast from veiling flare when shooting in harsher lighting).

If you look at photos the of packaging, it's the standard versus HMC version (uncoated). Ditto for the photo of the filter beside the packaging (note that it does not have HMC printed on it). The only place I see HMC is in the third photo (which is a different filter, and the photo looks like it came from someplace else).

The filter from Cameta is also a slim-line type design. A thinner filter will help to reduce vignetting that you will often see with filters.

Note that you will not see improvements in image quality using a UV filter with most modern digital cameras (the images in those listings are very misleading in that area), and you'll risk some degradation of image quality due to flare related issues when using a UV filter.

But, some users like them because they help to protect the lens, and the Hoya HMC filters are about the best you'll do based on tests of filters I've seen (as far as minimizing any flare related issues that you often see with filters).
sangfroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:35 AM   #4
Administrator

That depends on the lens cap design. You may need to use a push on type cap versus a clip on type cap. You'd have to try your caps to find out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5

If the lens you plan to use this on is a wide angle lens, then you should get the thin filter. But you probably won't be able to use the lens cap.

If you're looking for a filter for a longer lens, don't bother with the thin filter and get one that you can put your lens cap on.

I tried to use a thin filter on my Tamron 17-50/2.8, but because I couldn't use the lens cap, I just gave up, took off the filter, and just used the hood whenever the lens cap wasn't on.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:41 PM   #6

The Haze filter are pretty much ND filters, they generally warm up the light.

UV filter are design to block UV light form hitting film, as film is sensitive to UV. But most people use them to protect the lens. There are couple of thread regarding weather it is worth using a UV filter for DSLR, just do a quick search.

Just remember that most multi-coated filters are hard to clean in the field. If you are shooting somewhere with say alot of sea spray or salt air. You may want a uncoated one, they are easier to clean, in the field. A hood will do more for the image then a UV filter in the digital medium. ND filter and C-PL are worth getting though.

If you get a UV filter get a high quality one, they have less effect on the shot. But they tend to be expensive. example tiffen HT are over 120 for a filter, it is the only multicoat that is easy to clean in the field because the use ti in the coating, so the coating is not as easily damage. But they are expensive. Same thing with BW filters. A bit less is the HOYA super HMC line of filters.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 13, 2009 at 8:44 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote