Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 12, 2010, 5:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin_t View Post
Well that's great news guys ... I'm looking at the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8.
I presume you know that you can't mount the Canon 85/1.8 onto your Sony H20.

Quote:
One thing I forgot though ... I have a H20 which has a maximum aperture of f/3.5 ... Regardless of how wide my add on lens is .. I cannot get shallower depth of field with an add on lens with a wider aperture.
The f/number is a function of focal length and pupil diameter. You can't change the pupil diameter, but you can change the focal length with those add-on conversion lenses. That will give you a shallower depth of field with the gear you've got. But don't spend a lot of money trying to work majic with your H20; save up for that Canon 85/1.8 (which costs more than the camera you're using now) plus a body to hang it on.

Quote:
Bah photography is such an expensive thing to get into ... Goodness.
You ain't seen nothin' yet.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I presume you know that you can't mount the Canon 85/1.8 onto your Sony H20.
Seemed far fetched, I wanted to confirm. So I think I have an idea of how it works ... Pretty much, dSLR cameras have a body (the camera itself) upon which a lens (interchangeable) is affixed. Would it be correct to assume that certain camera bodies only accept certain diameter lens?

Quote:
The f/number is a function of focal length and pupil diameter. You can't change the pupil diameter, but you can change the focal length with those add-on conversion lenses. That will give you a shallower depth of field with the gear you've got. But don't spend a lot of money trying to work majic with your H20; save up for that Canon 85/1.8 (which costs more than the camera you're using now) plus a body to hang it on.
Yeah, I'm almost regretting buying the H20 ... I'm just getting into Photography so I didn't want to go all out. I opted for a point and shoot with manual controls.

That being said, the H20 has an adapter upon which add on lenses (58mm) can be affixed ... What determines what 58mm lens will fit on said adapter and what won't?

I haven't bought any lenses yet (just ND and Polarizing filters) because I don't know what is compatible with the VAD-HA adapter and what isn't.

Can you clarify for me what lenses exactly will go with me VAD-HA adapter? Thanks.

Quote:
You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Haha, oh I'm sure ... I've seen some lenses that cost just about my tax refund.
akin_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Seemed far fetched, I wanted to confirm. So I think I have an idea of how it works ... Pretty much, dSLR cameras have a body (the camera itself) upon which a lens (interchangeable) is affixed. Would it be correct to assume that certain camera bodies only accept certain diameter lens?
DSLRs use bayonet (twist and lock) mounts, not screw threads, to attach lenses to bodies (though that wasn't always the case.) And, unfortunately, each manufacturer has it's own unique lens mount. That's why third party lens manufacturers must make different versions of the same lens; so they can be attached to each of the different brands of camera bodies.

I should caveat that by saying that certain dSLR brands use lens mounts of other manufacturers, but that's because one company puts its name on a camera body manufactured by someone else. For instance, Fuji uses Nikon bodies, and therefore, Nikon lenses and third party lenses made for the Nikon mount will function on a Fuji dSLR. Also Samsung uses Pentax camera bodies and, therefore, Pentax lenses.

Quote:
I haven't bought any lenses yet (just ND and Polarizing filters) because I don't know what is compatible with the VAD-HA adapter and what isn't.

Can you clarify for me what lenses exactly will go with me VAD-HA adapter? Thanks.
There are multiple lenses that can be mounted onto the VAD-HA. Any lens that uses a 58mm screw thread to mount to a camera or adapter can use it. There's Sony's own, plus a few from third parties like the Kenko KRT-20 PRO and KRW-065 PRO DX.

Quote:
Haha, oh I'm sure ... I've seen some lenses that cost just about my tax refund.
How about this one: Sigma APO 200-500mm f/2.8

How many tax returns will that take?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote