Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Tcon - 300 Telephoto

Hi all
Anyone used and tested the Tcon - 300 I see they are quite a price to buy as an optional extra. www.digital.co.uk are doing an unbeatable mega bungle...gosh wish this offer was on a few months ago when I purchased my E20 bungle...how do they do it.

I have been very pleased with my E20 and the Wcon 08B/Tcon 14B that came as a package works really well. I would really like to purchase the Tcon 300 but the price of 599 plus 200 for the cradle is a bit over the top and it will be interesting to see how many buyers are out there.

Roy.
RoyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:03 AM   #2

Default Re: Tcon - 300 Telephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyH
I have been very pleased with my E20 and the Wcon 08B/Tcon 14B that came as a package works really well. I would really like to purchase the Tcon 300 but the price of 599 plus 200 for the cradle is a bit over the top and it will be interesting to see how many buyers are out there.
The new TCON-17 is as good as the B300 and much cheaper.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:18 AM   #3

Hi Roy,

Yes, I use the TCON-300 with my E10, my Olympus C2100UZ, Olympus E-100RS, Sony DSC-F707/F717, Fuji S602Z and Fuji S7000.

To use it with all but my E10, I had to fabricate a custom mount. The TCON-300 works very well, but it's not truly a convenient lens to use because it requires the adapter mount and must be focused independently of the camera.

As far as optical performance, it's as good as any other 3x tele lens I've used (Nikon TC-E3) but as with all monocular type tele adapters, there will be some increased chromatic aberration and a degree of softness.

If you really need an additional 3x, there really is no other substitute and you end up with a bit over 400mm, but if you want my suggestion and you really need the additional focal length, spend your money in one of two other ways.

1. Buy a Panasonic FZ10 and add the B300/TCON-17 1.7x (more focal length than adding the TCON-300 to your E20, and overall less expensive for a better solution.

2. Buy a Nikon CP4500 and the Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x which gives you the ability to even add the B300//TCON-17 (one or the other) to the end for some significant telephoto range. This combination will out perform the E20/TCON-300 in both range and zoom.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:29 PM   #4

Default Re: Tcon - 300 Telephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by shene
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyH
The new TCON-17 is as good as the B300 and much cheaper.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
Thank you shene for the comments and advice.

Roy.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
Hi Roy,

Yes, I use the TCON-300 with my E10, my Olympus C2100UZ, Olympus E-100RS, Sony DSC-F707/F717, Fuji S602Z and Fuji S7000.

To use it with all but my E10, I had to fabricate a custom mount. The TCON-300 works very well, but it's not truly a convenient lens to use because it requires the adapter mount and must be focused independently of the camera.

As far as optical performance, it's as good as any other 3x tele lens I've used (Nikon TC-E3) but as with all monocular type tele adapters, there will be some increased chromatic aberration and a degree of softness.

If you really need an additional 3x, there really is no other substitute and you end up with a bit over 400mm, but if you want my suggestion and you really need the additional focal length, spend your money in one of two other ways.

1. Buy a Panasonic FZ10 and add the B300/TCON-17 1.7x (more focal length than adding the TCON-300 to your E20, and overall less expensive for a better solution.

2. Buy a Nikon CP4500 and the Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x which gives you the ability to even add the B300//TCON-17 (one or the other) to the end for some significant telephoto range. This combination will out perform the E20/TCON-300 in both range and zoom.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin

That was a most interesting reply and thank for your time. I am pleased you have explained the need for that adaptor mount so I think I will not be purchasing the B300. I was hoping to get a little closer without loss of shutter speed. I have been digiscoping for a couple of years using the Swarovski 80 HD - Nikon 995 but I am losing out on the action shots. Buying a Panasonic FZ10 as you suggested would not go down too well with the wife as she sees this as just another camera. I guess I could fit that 5x OpicZoom to my 995 the only problem would you still be able to use the optical 995 view finder. I had a x2 converter for my 950 and this blocked one from using the optical view finder so I was never really happy with that. The E20 is just a dream to use compared to looking through a monitor in comparison to a TTL.

This advice buying a Panasonic FZ10 and add the B300/TCON-17 1.7x. I will pass this info on to a friend who is thinking of a buying a set up like this in the meantime I will also go check the review on this model.

Thanks again Lin

Regards

Roy.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 3:29 PM   #6

I would suggest getting the Extend-a-View if you don't already have it. I can't imagine doing digiscoping without it!

Here's a link:

http://www.photosolve.com

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 8:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
I would suggest getting the Extend-a-View if you don't already have it. I can't imagine doing digiscoping without it!

Here's a link:

http://www.photosolve.com

Lin
Hi Lin

Yes I agree and I already have the extend -a-View but I only use that if the light is bright most of my digiscoping has been out of hides so you don't suffer with the back light refection but I find the Extender is good for fine tuning the scope as I always use Manual focus. I had a look at the FZ10 review and I was surprised afterwards when I checked the UK price for this camera and I am sure my friend will be interested so thank you again for mentioning that camera.
While have chance I would like to wish you and all members a Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Roy.