Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:37 PM   #1

Default Anyone tried screw-in (filter size) wide-angle/macro lenses?

I looked in the DSLR category under "lenses" and could not find any headers for cheap, no-name LOL supplementary "lenses" like those sold on eBay for around $35-$45. So I'm posting here with the hope that maybe someone else has already had some experience with these lenses on a fixed lens digital or maybe even on a DSLR?

I'm not looking to spend $300+ on a dedicated wide-angle, but would like to fool around with something beyond the 50mm 1.8 lens on my DSLR. I know I could always "create" a look with Photoshop, but in truth... with Photoshop you're only able to work with what you shot... so you can't all of a sudden add to that image what would've been seen by a wider angle lens.

Not understanding exactly the science of lens design, I also don't know if you can _really_ capture more on the said image with one of these supplemental lenses. So, if you have one... how about some commentary and possibly some comparison shots, explaining your setup.
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:25 PM   #2

I'd be interested if the quality doesn't drop too much. I could carry one of these addons for the once-in-a-blue-moon shots.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:29 PM   #3

canon make a great screw on macro lens, it is the 500d macro lens, but it is pricey for a 58mm tread
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:35 AM   #4

I'd be willing to spend say... $100.00 +/- for something that would work on my Nikon 52mm thread. But like Frank said... I wouldn't want something where the quality was dreadful, and yes... it would be for those occasional shots where a bit more angle might make them more interesting.

I used to have a 24mm WA Nikkor for my Nikon F2 that filled the bill nicely. But with the new non-full frame DSLRs, that much wide angle would probably cost a small fortune in a dedicated lens whether it was Nikon or a decent quality aftermarket unit.
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:39 AM   #5

the canon one is a bit more, but it is most likely the best screw on macro lens out there. You can get a step down ring to fit 52mm. But for occasional shots, and if you are not a big macro person. There are other less expensive options out there. And there are allot of wide angle add on lenses also on the market.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:15 PM   #6

I tried one of the add ons for my old point and shoot for kicks. It was a cheap optika wide angle add on ($30 I think). It added a bit of angle, but it didn't add much angle that wasn't out of focus/blurred. Never tried on on my DSLR though, might be a different story, and a different brand may work. I know Optika is not known for having quality lenses...
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:56 PM   #7

Look to a Raynox DCR-250 or DCR-150. There are scads of images taken with the 250 in the Close-up section.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:55 AM   #8

Last spring, I purchased a Bower macro 67mm screw on filter for $200+ to use on my Nikon D90. When I use it with my 18-105 Nikon lens, pictures are very nice. Sometimes I wish that I had waited for the Nikon 105 macro. In hindsight, I spent almost a grand (1K) less and got a filter that will do what it is that I want it to do.
TillettMD is offline   Reply With Quote