Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 18, 2003, 6:30 PM   #1

Default Macro lens VS Close Ups Filters

Hello!
I have a Olympus C-750 Uz and I'm considering of buying some lenses for m digicam.
As I'm in love with it, first of all, I want to protect it, specially the lens. So I'm considering of buying an adapter tube. I've found CLA-4 from Olympus itsef (55mm and black), Raynox (52mm and black), Sunpak, Sakar and Soligor (all 52mm and brushed chrome). I prefer a brushed chrome one, I think it gets prettier, despite of the black filters ahead. Do you know where can I buy any brushed chrome in europe, like UK, France, etc? Even the black Raynox? I only find the original Olympus CLA-4.
I'm thinking about buying a UV filter so I can protect the lenses, any brand recomendation?
What about Polarizer? Circular or Linear? Brand?
One of my fav photo is macro, so I'm considering of buying a macro addon to my camera.
I've been told that a Raynox DCR-250 and the Olympus MCON-4 are not macro lenses but filters. Is it true? Can I get the same result with those than with close up filters from Hoya or B+W or another brand? Like adding some filters so I add more dipters?
With this macro lense from Raynox can I adjust the macro, like I do with zoom? Or You get it on or off, simply as that?
Do I loose quality on filters VS this lenses?
What about teleconversion and fish lenses? are these filters too?
I'm really confused, I really need help on this!
Please give me a hand!
Love,
Andrea Oliveira
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2003, 7:34 PM   #2

Default Re: Macro lens VS Close Ups Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiota
I'm thinking about buying a UV filter so I can protect the lenses, any brand recomendation?
If you insist to have a UV filter, then buy a good multicoated ones such as Hoya, Heliopen and B+W. See the "Coated vs. Non-Coated" page in the "Filters" section of my Coolpix 4500 user guide for the details.

Quote:
What about Polarizer? Circular or Linear? Brand?
A linear polarizer is fine and should work. Get a good multicoated one.

Quote:
So, I messed up my head because I've been told that a Raynox DCR-250 and the Olympus MCON-4 are not macro lenses but filters. Is it true?
These are lenses. Even though one might want to call them filters, they are actually lenses because they have focal points! A filter is usually a flat glass without focal points.

Quote:
Can I get the same result with it than with close up filters from Hoys otrr B+w or another brand? Like adding some filters so I add more dipters?
I do not have the two macro "lenses" you mentioned. But, any lens, the SLR lenses included, has a diopter value equal to 1000/X, where X is the focal length of the lens. Those "filter" type close-up lenses have smaller diopters such as +1, +2 and +4, while some special ones have higher diopter values such as +8, +10 and +20. They are all the same thing. As long as you can find some way to stack them together, you certainly can do that. On the other hand, stack a close-up lens to a high diopter close-up lens will make image quality worse, and, in many cases, much worse. Even though you are using small diopter value lenses, you should limit the number of lenses to no more than with the larger diopter one on the camera lens.

Quote:
With this macro lense from Raynox can I adjust the macro, like I do wuith zoom? Or You get it on or off, simply as that?
Yes, you can zoom. And, if you don't want it, you can take the close-up lens off the camera. On the other hand, close-up lenses are usually supposed to be used at the maximum focal length to obtained the highest magnification. Thus, zooming the lens back too much does not make much sense in close-up photography.

Quote:
Do I loose quality on filters VS this Raynox lense?
No! However, the higher the diopter is, the more difficult a close-up can be made. Don't expect too much from a high to very high diopter cheap close-up lenses. It is likely that only the center portion of your image will be sharp and the border area would be soft to very soft. To do high magnification close-up photography, you will need special lenses. See this post for the details: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=15584

Quote:
What about teleconversion and fish enses? are these filters too?
They are lenses, of course. See the "Lens Converters" section of my Nikon Coolpix 4500 guide for the examples. Although your camera is not a Nikon, the way of using converters is all the same.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 7:50 PM   #3

Hello!
Thanks for your quick reply!
So, you advise me to buy any adapter tube with UV multicoated UV filter and a linear multicoated polarizer. I'm thnking about B+W but is a little expensive. is it Hoya or Cokin good enough?
About the macro addon, considering to buy a real lense, what is the best one? MCON-4 from Olympus (150 ) or DCR-250 from Raynox (50 ).
Love, Andrea
Old Dec 18, 2003, 9:45 PM   #4

Quote:
So, you advise me to buy any adapter tube with UV multicoated UV filter and a linear multicoated polarizer. I'm thnking about B+W but is a little expensive. is it Hoya or Cokin good enough?
I am not sure about the adapter tube because I do not use Olympus camera. But, if your camera requires a tube to mount filters, then you perhaps have to buy such an adapter tube. I would recommend at least a multicoated Hoya. Cokin's square system is versatile; but, since you wish to go with circular filters, the Hoya, IMO, is better.

Quote:
About the macro addon, considering to buy a real lense, what is the best one? MCON-4 from Olympus (150 ) or DCR-250 from Raynox (50 ).
I have no experience in using MCON-4 and DCR-250, I am afraid that I cannot answer your question. However, I do have a Raynox MSN-500, which is a reasonably good close-up lens. On the other hand, if the MCON-4 is made to match your camera, its quality should be better if $$$ is not a problem.

CK
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:50 AM   #5

Default Filters, add-on lenses

Hello,
you should consider the highest magnification you want to achieve. MCON-40 has +2,5D which makes about 1:6,3 magnification on Oly 750uz, which is not so much different from your Super Macro mode (yes, you can stay at longer distance form the subject with add-on lens to get this magnification). Moreover it's 55mm so you would be limited to original (overpriced) tube adapter.
I've recently bought an Hoya achromatic close-up lense of +5D (following Shene's advice ) and it's perfect. It's not cheap but it's still cheaper than MCON (anyone knows if MCON is achromatic?) and costs about 100. You can choose diamater of 49, 52 and 55mm.
I can shoot an area 2 cm wide at full zoom with my Oly 2100uz and provides magnification 1:2,8. This is what I find highly satisfactory and the image quality is very good (under certain circumstances the lens is not enough achromatic and edges turn red in corners of the picture).
I hope this helps.
Martin
MartinCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:14 PM   #6

Hi!
Thanks for your reply.
Can you post some pictures so I can view the quality of this method?
Love,
Andrea
Old Dec 20, 2003, 3:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shene
Quote:
I am not sure about the adapter tube because I do not use Olympus camera. But, if your camera requires a tube to mount filters, then you perhaps have to buy such an adapter tube. I would recommend at least a multicoated Hoya. Cokin's square system is versatile; but, since you wish to go with circular filters, the Hoya, IMO, is better.

Quote:
About the macro addon, considering to buy a real lense, what is the best one? MCON-4 from Olympus (150 ?) or DCR-250 from Raynox (50 ?).
I have no experience in using MCON-4 and DCR-250, I am afraid that I cannot answer your question. However, I do have a Raynox MSN-500, which is a reasonably good close-up lens. On the other hand, if the MCON-4 is made to match your camera, its quality should be better if $$$ is not a problem.

CK
Just a side note, cokin also makes standard round threaded filters too, not just the square ones for their systems.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote