Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:33 AM   #1

Default Add-on telephoto lenses for compact pocket cams

I'm wondering if there are telephoto lenses available for cameras like the Canon sx210is or the Panasonic DMC-ZS7. I know they already have good telephotos, but I can always use more. Perhaps something that attaches magnetically.

I don't know the exact dimensions of these cameras, but based on photographs of the sx210is, it looks like I might need more than a 30mm magnetic ring, and I haven't been able to find anything like that online.

I'd like to hold off buying the cam until I can find add on lenses to go with it.

Thanks
macroencephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:51 AM   #2

The Canon SX210is has a lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 28-392mm. Plus it has a 4X digital zoom.

The Panasonic ZS7 has a lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 25-300mm. Plus it has a 4X digital zoom.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Canon SX210is has a lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 28-392mm. Plus it has a 4X digital zoom.

The Panasonic ZS7 has a lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 25-300mm. Plus it has a 4X digital zoom.

What do you want to shoot?
I'm actually thinking of the possibility of being able to apply filters, such as ND and polarizing filters, as well as a telephoto lens. These cameras are already good at the wide angle.

I mentioned the telephoto because it would be the heaviest, and I was wondering if these cameras would be able to support the weight without damaging the motors or otherwise damaging the camera.

300mm is impressive for a pocket cam, which is what I want, but it's not exactly breaking any records. It would only amount to about 6 to 7x optical zoom on a standard camcorder, which often measures its wide angle at 45mm.

I've seen some of these magnetic lenses online, but I'm not sure I've found one large enough for one of these cams.

Thanks
macroencephalus is offline   Reply With Quote