Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1

Default Filter brands?

I'm hoping that this in the right forum . . ..

What is the hierarchy of filter brands? Brand A being generally better than Brand B, etc.

What should I look for in a filter other than brand?

Are there brands that should be avoided like the plague? Chinese made vs. Japanese vs. Whoever?

For example, a friend gave me a filter that he didn't need/want, it's a Hoya Skylight 1B. Is this a quality filter or should it become a coaster and I should get another filter?
Wiley-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2010, 2:50 AM   #2

the germany ones are very high end, and very pricey. The hoya are a bit less, but their pro 1 series are on par with the german ones with a price to match. And the tiffen are pretty simple filters. But their HT filters are excellent as well just as good as the german ones and with a matching price. BW and heliopan are the big name german brands. Hoya does have a mid grade in their single coated and HMC lines.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:29 AM   #3

Each filter, EACH!, degrades photo quality. You only need (if necessary) polarisation filters ... perhaps ND filters. All others are FOR THE CAT.

Let some people believe, filters for $100-$300 are 10x-30x better than Chinese filters for $5 - $10. You cannot change men's illusion.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:33 AM   #4

form personal experience. The HT CPL multi coated, does a excellent job in prevent flares as when trying to cut reflection shooting toward a strong light source like the sun. And the Hoya HMC ND does a nice job when you want a slower shutter speed while shooting in a bright environment. I would not waste the money on any UV filter protectors. But I have tried the chinese cpl that are not coated and single coated, they do not do as nice a job with flare control or ghosting.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 9, 2010 at 3:55 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:38 AM   #5

But I do have a cheap chinese star burst filter that I got on ebay. It is good for holiday lighting, and for a filter that I do not use expect for the holiday. It makes no sense to pay for a more expensive one while a 6 dollar one works ok, and flares are not a concern.

Well with the free filter, it is a decent one. Some cares for the effect it does to the sky. But the only way to find out if it works for you is to try it out. Personally I do not like skylight filters effect to often. So I do not use them.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 10, 2010 at 1:12 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote