Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 9, 2002, 8:35 PM   #1

Default TCON14 or A200?

I have just bought an Olympus 2100 UZ. I want a telephoto lens and it looks like the A200 and TCON14 are in my price range. Which would be best for this camera? And where can I find one for a good price?
Lil_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:32 PM   #2

There was an A-200 on eBay yesterday. I doubt if you can get it for a good price.

If you get the TCON14, make sure you get the TCON14B. The other one is pretty poor quality.

Both A-200 and TCON14B are good quality.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 6:34 PM   #3

I don't have any experience with the TCON 14b but I do own the A-200. You can get the A-200 at B&H Photo for about $85, brand new. http://www02.bhphotovideo.com The A-200 is fairly light and very portable. I hear the TCON 14b is heavy but I haven't used one so not sure how it compares. If you'd like to see some shot taken with the A-200, you can check them out at my site here:

http://www.amystuff.com/lenses.htm

The photos were taken with the Olympus 2100 and the Sony F707. I also have sample shots with the B-300 and the C-210. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Amy (twisted_geek_girl)
twisted_geek_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 6:45 PM   #4

lil,
Talking with Lin do not think the 200 is good way to go. If you want to go beyond 10X, dont do it with sacriface of quality. Would use the digital zoom before I would pay for "big and low quality shot" and will never use the digital. Take time and maybe Lin will give you a little feed back. Hope you are enjoying the 2100 UZI.
Good Shooting,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2002, 7:11 PM   #5

Hi guys,
The A200 is an O.K. lens, in optical quality about the equal of the TCON-14. The B-300 is quite good - much better than either the A200 or TCON-14. The TCON-14B is optically the best of the group, but is also very large, very heavy and reasonably expensive - though usually less expensive than the B-300.

Which one is right for you will depend a great deal on your expectations. I know people who use the A200 or the TCON-14 and are very happy. Other's want the additional sharpness and quality that the TCON-14B or B-300 gives. Here's a shot with the C2100UZ and TCON-14B. The small amount of chromatic aberration has been removed with Picture Window Pro 3.1 and one application of Ultra Sharpen Pro PhotoShop plug-in in default mode. This one prints beautifully at 11x14.

Lin

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2002, 1:44 AM   #6

The a200 has a good price/performance ratio, when compared to the other TC's available. Here's a shot with my a200 from B&H on my C2100:

http://www.photosig.com/viewphoto.php?id=209872

One thing is, though, If you get an a200, test it thoroughly with your camera. I found that some a200's may perform worse then others. Read about it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3175370

One more thing. Don't listen to gary. Digital zoom is NO match for a GOOD teleconverter.
Rooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2002, 3:25 PM   #7

Default I think you misunderstood what Gary said..

He didn't imply that digital zoom was better - he said, in effect, that he would use digital zoom before paying for a less than optimal lens solution and that he would "never" use digital zoom.

In other words, his suggestion was to get a lens which doesn't degrade the image. The A200 does satisfy some and apparently some A200's are better than others - this observation is not from personal experience, but from other's posts.

The only two lenses of less than 2X telephoto which we have tested and found perfectly consistent in quality and performance are the TCON-14B and the B-300. There may indeed be other lenses which perform very well and very consistently - but in the approximately 20 telephoto lenses which I have personally tested for the C2100UZ and E-100RS, these are the only two I personally would recommend.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 8:06 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the opinions of the experienced people on this forum. Those are some great photos, too.

Lin, I think I'm gonna go with the TCON14b. What type of adaptor ring do I need for the 2100?

[Edited on 8-20-2002 by Lil_country]
Lil_country is offline   Reply With Quote