Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:19 AM   #1

Default Lens for wild life photography?

My camera is a fujifilm finepix F9500. It's already fitted with a 28/300mm lens.

I was wondering what the best lens for wild life photography, especially birds, would be. Is there a best lens for close-ups using this camera? It was a gift and I don't know much about it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Shuttered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:05 PM   #2

If you need more than the 300mm equivalent, you can find Teleconverter lenses from several places. More glass in front of your lens means more chance for problems, though. A T/C lens can add distortion, and will magnify any existing problems in the lens. The weight of a large converter lens can be considerable, too, and put a strain on your camera when the lens is fully extended.
The macro mode on your camera is likely to be able to get you as close as you need, but you can add +diopters for more magnification. Since they are simpler lenses, they don't add as much weight.
My recommendation would be to use it for a while, then decide if there are any limitations you need to overcome with an add-on lens.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:44 AM   #3

Thank you Brian, I'll have a go with the macro function. Cheers!
Shuttered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:26 AM   #4

Your camera has a 58mm filter thread...Canon makes a TC-58C Teleconverter which is 2X so this would give you 600mm...it is very light and would mate right onto your lens...it would vignette at the wide end but at the tele end it would be great for birding, etc...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote