Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:39 AM   #1

Default Sony DSC F828 Telephoto Lens

I'll soon be getting my 828 and am looking for a new telephoto lens for my camera. I did have an F717 with a generic 2.0x ti lens. There was some distortion around the edges. My question is, how much of a difference is there between the Sony branded telephoto lenses? They have a few models ranging in price from $180-$400. I'm also interested in the Sony wide angle. Most of my pics will be taken at football games. Any input would be appreciated.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:15 AM   #2

Here is an interesting situaiton. It appears that the Sony F828 was not designed, physically, to use a heavy add on lens. No telephoto or wideangle lense is listed as an accessory for this camera by Sony, and people in the Sony forum on dpreview state that Sony does not recommend using a teleconvertor, because the telescoping barrel(which the thread is located) was not meant for any stress. IN addition, the F828 manual has specific warnings about applying any amount of force or bumping the assembly.

From this little bit of evidence so far, I appears it would be a bad idea to use anything other then diopter lenses or filters on the F828, unless you want the mechanical zoom assembly to incur damage. Assuming the F828 telescope assembly is the same basic strenth as an average SLR telescopoing zoom lens, I imagine that you would have to impracticly cautios to use an add on lens. This would mean never letting the tele hang without your hand supporting it.... how practical is this?

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:57 AM   #3

Ouch. Like I mentioned, I take a bunch of action photos, particularly at BB/FB games. What's my best option then? I NEED to use a zoom and want to stick with a digital camera. How about the new Canon?
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:03 AM   #4

The two best options available(lowest shutter lag, lowest AF time) in the fixed lens prosumer clas for action shooting are the MInolta A1 and Fuji s7000. I know the s7000 can use add on lenses; I would imagine the Minolta can too, but you should double check.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 10:15 AM   #5

I have been fishing around Sony's site for conversion lenses for the F828, which I just ordered. I found the following, which are said to be for the F707 and F717:
VCL-HGD0758 - wide angle - 0.7 (should be like a 20mm on the 28 end)
VCLHGD175 - tele - 1.7 mag (should be like a 340 mm on the 200 end)
These are pricey, at $299.99 list each. However, given your observation about a third party lens (which one?), it might be worth it to get Sony's lenses.
I wonder: Does the autofocus work okay with converter lenses?
Someone had a warning against putting large converter lenses at the end of the F828 lens, which he said was not built to support itl he also warned against putting the camera down with the converter lens at the end, because it is much wider than the build-in lens. The tele weighs 20 oz; Sony did not post the weight of the W-A lens. However, the tripod socket is on the lens, and I assume that one must hold this camera by the lens, not the body, so the real risk might be putting strain on the internal mechanism of the lens.

Any comments?
dirtlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote