Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:41 PM   #1

Default A80 additional lenses

:?:

I want to know if it is possible to add any 52mm lens / filter to the canon A80 (via the convertertube) or it is only restricted to the 3 recommended lenses by canon.

It would be nice to attach include neutral density filters also to protect the lens
marz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:14 AM   #2

A uv filter might be more sutable if you just want it for protection. You can use any 52mm filter though. As far as other types of lenses, it depends on the lens. The size of the mount has nothing to do with the size of the glass and the design of the lens. With my a70 I have lenses as small as 37mm that work just fine while I have a raynox lens that is 52mm that vinyettes just a little with the camera at full zoom. There are many lenses of all types that will work in addition to the canon lenses. There is no perfect way to tell if a particular lens will work though. Either it is listed by the manufacture as working with the a80, or you can post here to see if someone has tried a particular lens with the a80, or if it is something that can be found at a local camera store they will usally let you try it. All you usally need to do is hold it in front of the camera to see if it works. The primary problem that you will run into is vinyetting (the glass is to small around so it cuts the corners off the picture). With a wide angle lens it pretty much has to work with the camera at wide angle. Using zoom to eliminate vinyetting with a wide angle lens would be countering what the lens is designed to do. With telephoto and macro lenses it is acceptable to have to usesome of the cameras zoom to eliminate vinyetting. Even with the canon teleconverters you have to zoom a little to eliminate vinyetting. If the lens works with the camera at full zoom then it is usable but some lenses will allow use of some of the zoom range which is nice to have.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 3:16 AM   #3

Default Good reply

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I was going to buy the wide angle lens original from Canon (which canon recommends for A80) but I was going to buy a cheaper macro lenses for it. I was interested in Hoya macro lenses (+4) and Tiffel macro lenses (+7, +10). I wonder if anyone have tried these with the new A80

I myself have 37mm macro (KOOD +1 +2 +4) which I use for the SONY TRV50, but I am sceptical that they work since they are relatively small compared to 52mm. These lenses are quite good and maybe I would buy a converter 52<->37 and see how they perform.

A problem in my country, MALTA, is that there are not much dedicated photo accessories shops and maybe they do not have many lenses. Probably I have to order from internet online shops and so I could not try the lenses with teh camera. For this case these forums would be extremly helpful

Thanks for your help
Stephen

www.maltawildplants.com
Malta
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:15 AM   #4

You should be able to get an idea if the 37mm lenses will work by hand holding them about a half inch in front of the lens barrel. You want to look for dark shadows in the corners or the corners being completlly cut off. If I am not mistaken with the a70 you can only use 1-2 filters before it starts to vinyette at wide angle. With 52mm filters you can stack 5-6 before it starts to vinyette. I don't have the a80 but have been given the impression that it needs a little bit larger glass than the a70 so you may really be borderline. Still, a 52mm-37mm step ring to use with the 52mm adapter should not be that expensive and since macro lenses are often used with telephoto, you may find them usable even if they vinyette a little at wide angle.
Also be aware that +1, +2 and +4 lenses probably are not going to give you much magnification. The following shots are with no lens, +3, +7.7, and +20 on the a70.
http://www.pbase.com/richardh/newmacro-ol
I think the a80 gives a little more magnification but not a lot more in comparison. Once again you should be able to hand hold the 37mm lenses you have in front of the camera and get an idea. You might not get clean focused shots hand held but you should at least be able to get an idea of magnification.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 1:31 PM   #5

:shock:

I have spent these last 48 hours reading reviews, forum posts etc... and I came with this addon list:

52mm Nikon 4T Macro Lense (+3)
Raynox DCR6600 Pro Wideangle lens
52mm B+W polarizer (circular)
Hoya Macro set multilayer coat +10
Hoya Macro set multilayer coat +1 +2 +4

Teleconverter still undecided maybe Canon TC52d or tiffen megaplus x2 ... any suggestions ?

(also I am trying to make a reverse 50mm mounting for super macros)

I could do worse isnt it :P
Old Dec 30, 2003, 1:16 AM   #6

It looks like you have made some pretty good choices to me. If it were me I would go with the canon teleconverter. It's a bit beter quality and higher magnification. Still the tiffen is a decent lens though. Be aware that you will need a step ring with the tiffen. I am not really farmiliar with the raynox but I really don't do a lot of wide angle. The macro lenses and the polerizer you are looking at are all good. I would hold off on the nikon lens though. If I am not mistaken the nikon is a multi element lens. This type of lens does provide a beter picture than the single element like the hoya as it corects for chromatic aberation but I do not think that +3 is going to give you very much magnification. If you were to get the hoya set first (as it is cheaper than the nikon lens) you could stack the +1 and +2 to see how much magnification +3 is. You could then decide if you want to spend that much money for that much magnification (for the nikon).
As far as the reversed 50mm, it works pretty well. It is kind of hard to recomend a lens though as there are so many lenses that would work. Here you can get on ebay or go to camera shops that cary used lenses and there is an endless supply of good lenses that can be gotten used cheap but I am not sure what your options are there. If you need info on what to look for in an slr lens or how to go about mounting it let me know.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:21 AM   #7

Yep... I decided upon the Canon teleconverter... not cheap but I read much more good news than bad. I was also conseidering the Olympus TCon17, but not available at the online shop

The +1, +2 and +4 Hoya macro lenses are 2 lens element and HMC coated so they are of good quality with little chromatic aberation.

The nikon macro do not cost much, and I read so much good news about it that just 40USD would not bother me. If I order it seperately then, I have to add some 30USD UPS delivery charge.

I was really tough days to decide what and which, but finally I made my mind and hope the tough work pays back in good photographic results...

One more question (which I also will write in the main forum since it is out of point here.

Would a lexar 256Mb x40 or the same but x16 will show a very different performance and speed on the 4MP Canon A80 ?

The online shop give the x16 256Mb with canon for just USD 10 more! (I wanted the x40 but that's means plus USD70!)
Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:12 PM   #8

I knew the hoya +10 was multi element but thought the other hoya set was single element. Either way hoya makes good quality lenses and if they are multi-element, even beter. If you are going to get hit with that kind of shipping it does make sence to just get it (reguarding the nikon).
As far as the cf card goes, it is unnesasary to get such a fast card for a camera like this. For normal shooting you will not notice any diffrence. What determines how the camera performs is the cameras own internal memory which is much faster than any card. The places that you might see a diffrence are continious shooting and video. When you shoot in continious mode the speed is initially determined by the cameras own internal memory. After several shots when the cameras memory has filled up the camera will substantially slow down. As the camera is writing to the card while you are shooting, a faster card will allow you to take an extra shot or two before that camera slows down. The time for the camera to recover will be a little shorter too. The camera is only going to write to the card so fast reguardless of how fast the card is. If the price diffrence were small I might go ahead and get the faster card but for the price diffrence you are going to have to pay for little or no performance increase, I wouldn't think it would not be worth it. You might be beter off investing the money in a second card. It will increase how fast you can download to your computer if you use a card reader, but once again, thats a pretty big price diffrence. As far as video, it might take a little less time to save (after you have finished shooting).
Here is some interesting info on cf card speed.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/
Old Dec 31, 2003, 2:49 AM   #9

I agree with your post concerning the CF speed. I had somehow that idea but was not sure and had no experience. Happy NEw Year Richard...

Happy new year to all post submiters of steve's digital camera as well

Stephen mifsud
MALTA

www.marz-kreations.com