Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2003, 3:09 PM   #1

Default Raynox DCR6600 with A80

Anyone have a raynox DCR6600 and how is the image output quality in terms of sharpness, resolution, distortion (fisheye effect) and vignetting ? I considerd many other wA lenses but each had some defect in picture quality including teh custm made canon WC-TC52d from Canon.

Iodine, did you had luck to purchase one ? I will make my order from b+H with UPS shipping being very cheap and 5 days maximum delivery time! 6600 costs from them USD100
then u have to add taxes and duty (about +21%)
marz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:37 PM   #2

I recommend you perform a search on "Raynox 6600" at this forum. You'll find this blurb I posted last night for the Epson 3100Z.

"I suspect that the Canon or Oly adapters might provide better image clarity, but the Raynox certainly has a lock on maintaining image linearity. Of course, it does this at the expense of clarity in a donut around the center of the image. See here http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289003299"

Also, if you go to the Raynox Site [http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/...dcr6600eg.htm] and follow the link to the Oly C-740///C-755, compare the image taken with the DCR-6600 to that taken using their own DCR-720. I think this is one of the best examples showing what Raynox has done to furnish minimal linear distortion in the final image. In this particular image, it remains difficult to glean the loss of image quality. See my shot above for that.

I will be interested to see your posts once you've made a selection. I am interested in finding a good 2X or better teleconverter for my Epson and would encourage anyone with recommendations to share their thoughts.
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 9:32 AM   #3

Yep, I read about this problem, but then would it be better good linearity in compromise of softness, which can be adjusted more easily by little sharpening on PC paint progs?

2nd thing.... I already looked on Raynox site but instead for oly I compared images for Canon G3 and G2. I do not know if they cropped the pic, but on outdoor full light conditions there was not much offensive blur at the borders?! Wonder if same thing is produced on A80?!?

3rd thing....
I read another one who used PRO6600 and said that its true there is unsharpness at full tele x0.66 but by zooming by 2 or 3 steps (which he said is equivalent to x0.72) most of the problem was cured.

Another one said that he improved the clarity issue by using an adapter which was just 2mm longer!

Finally, on printing, the softness would not much be offensive, if it is agreed that it is really there at high levels !

However like you, everyone agreed that for good linearity this Pro DCR6600 is the best on the shelves for its price (noy on teh cheap side either)

P.s. You can see my list on another thread on this forum, named add on lense for A80 (or something like that) !!

CYA and TNX 4 yr post
www.marz-kreations.com
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:56 AM   #4

Stephen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by marz5
Yep, I read about this problem, but then would it be better good linearity in compromise of softness, which can be adjusted more easily by little sharpening on PC paint progs?
Good point. I don't do much retouching as the business I'm in doesn't demand it. So if I take a pic that needs retouching, then I get to figure it out "all over again."

Quote:
2nd thing.... I already looked on Raynox site but instead for oly I compared images for Canon G3 and G2. I do not know if they cropped the pic, but on outdoor full light conditions there was not much offensive blur at the borders?! Wonder if same thing is produced on A80?!?
I spoke with a Raynox rep in New York state. He told me that these lenses are designed to be used outside where the light is much greater and your image encompasses something at a much greater distance from the lens. Unfortunate, since I bought the lens for indoors use.

Quote:
Another one said that he improved the clarity issue by using an adapter which was just 2mm longer!
Yeah, that was me. Turns out I'm suffering some problems with the lens extension mechanism on the camera because it doesn't perform consistently. Sometimes, I'm better off with the tube Raynox sent, other times I'm better off using a 49-52 step-up ring, which pushes the lens out about 2-2.5mm.

Quote:
Finally, on printing, the softness would not much be offensive, if it is agreed that it is really there at high levels !
Which argues for a few more pixels on the camera. I haven't printed any of my wide angle shots, so I'm uncertain if 3 MP is adequate. I think your A-80 is a little more than that, so perhaps less of a concern. Lots of pixels, smaller picture, much less apparent. Regardless of all this, the lens allows me to capture spatial relationships inside facilities in fewer images than without it.

I'll post a couple of more images from a trip to a WWTF in Eagle River, AK at the same location I posted above. Unfortunately, I did not have a tripod with me, so these hand held shots with 1/2-second shutter speeds may be suffering from just a tad of motion blur. Still, it serves the purpose in this case.

Keep us posted on your Telecon decision.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 11:22 AM   #5

Default Order processed

I decided upon the Canon TC-DC52... Not yet conclusive, but very promising :-)

I will send you photos about that.

Comments on photos at www.maltawildplants.com are welcomed.

They are taken with still image option of TRV+50 camcorder (1.5Mp) and some 37mm KOOD close up lenses (the kood are good lenses I must say...). They came in set of +1 +2 +4 and +4 alone or +2+4 do good job.
Old May 17, 2004, 11:25 PM   #6

marz5 wrote:
Quote:
I decided upon the Canon TC-DC52... Not yet conclusive, but very promising :-)

I will send you photos about that.
So have you taken any photos with this lens? Also, can you tell me what the lens diameter is on your camera; my Epson is about an inch and I might get a lot of vignetting with this adapter. I really want at least 2x tele, but this may not work on my camera. And the new Raynox 2020 suggests the need for a camera that already has a long zoom. My 3x unit may not work there either.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:32 AM   #7

I had opportunity to use my Raynox DCR 6600 on a construction project last week. I've posted some additional images (all outdoors) that I took with the adapter. See here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289003299

I took other pix inside the small building this tank went into as well as the adjacent space in which we stuffed two more tanks and a pile of equipment. It will all be in it's final position and operating next week. I will be traveling to perform a functional checkout on the equipment and will post a few more shots in early July.....

P.S. I remain interested in a longer lens on a "shorter" camera (see above note re: Raynox 2020) and would appreciate other posts from folks that may have tried one of the 2x + lens on their camera. Thank you,

Damien*
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:52 PM   #8

Hey there. I have an A80 and also doing research on some add-on lenses. My main concerns are
1) Black spots when using the flash with the lenses getting in the way
2) Losing picture quality with a 3X's telephoto
so I would be interested to hear about your experiences with the Canon or Raynox Lenses.

talk to you soon,

Simon
jazzician is offline   Reply With Quote