Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:33 PM   #1

Default New lense for my K-x

I am looking for a new lens for my Pentax K-x however I don't want to spend a gruntch of money because I would like to eventually upgrade the body and go with canon. Anyway, I have been looking at the 50mm f/1.4 prime and the 50 - 300mm lens. I don't know which one I would rather have because I just enjoy taking photographs of everthing and I could really use both. I may just buy both in time but what am I going to go with first? Telephoto or prime? I don't know but thats not really my question. My question is is does anyone know of a better K mount lens out there for a better alternative than either of these lenses that won't kill my pocket book? I already
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:58 PM   #2

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:15 PM   #3

well if you want fast AF, look at the sigma 50 1.4 HSM, but that is 2x the price. With a zoom the DA 55-300 is actually very sharp on the long end, and it is better built then the DAL kit version with a metal mount and mf clutch.

If you need fast AF then you are looking at more money with either sigma's HSM or Pentax's SDM lenses.

A good option is buy used. My brother just picked up a FA 50 1.4 used one for 275 dollars. Ebay is a good source and some of the other camera forums have market places with good values as well.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:15 PM   #4

Default used lenses for pentax

This is my first post, and I wasn't sure how to create a new post, so I just posted a reply here. I'm thinking about buying a couple of used prime lenses, but I'm looking for advice on how they will work with my Pentax k-x. There are 4 pictures in attachment. Would this be a good buy? I haven't made an offer with the seller yet. They are Sears brand:
Sears 28mm 1:2.8 052
Sears 50mm 1:2.0 520

Anybody know anything about these? The seller knows nothing about his camera or lenses. They were given to him by his grandfather.
Attached Images

Last edited by okcubsfan; Jan 26, 2011 at 5:20 PM.
okcubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 5:18 PM   #5

You really should post in the pentax dslr forum on steve's. You will get more info.

Just pick the pentax dslr forum. An on the top hit new thread to create your own thread.

Also the photos are kinda small hard to tell what lenses they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcubsfan View Post
This is my first post, and I wasn't sure how to create a new post, so I just posted a reply here. I'm thinking about buying a couple of used prime lenses, but I'm looking for advice on how they will work with my Pentax k-x. There are 4 pictures in attachment. Would this be a good buy? I haven't made an offer with the seller yet.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:53 PM   #6

Default pics of used sears lenses

Here are bigger pics:
Attached Images

okcubsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 7:00 PM   #7

the F2 would make for better dof control over the 2.8. And will give you added low light ability with proper focus.

But the 28mm is more of a eye view giving you close to what your eye perceives. And it will give you better working distance indoor.

If they are pretty cheap, I would get both. But I am not a fan of MF lenses on AF bodies.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:53 PM   #8

I think Fine art photography best suits my interests. Here is my favorite photog's gallery: www.minenghauser.com. Her photography really speeks to me. Its like an alternate reality or maybe a dreem or memory (obviously one that you really never had) on paper. Anyway I could use both depending on the subject I was shooting. So let me repose my question.

Is there a better alternative out there then to those originaly posted for the K-mount?

Also I just discovered something... Why doesn't my camera allow me to shoot in RAW with HDR enabled? Thats so stupid. Please don't tell me that no camera allows you to shoot in RAW with HDR. Maybe I will just have to go to film....
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote