Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:59 AM   #1

Default Please recommend a lens for close ups

Hi! My husband just bought me a camera Nikon D3000 and it came with a lens 18-55 and this lens is great to point and shoot most pictures (cause I can edit later) but I primarily will take face or portrait shots and want a different lens. I would like recommendations please...I am new to the camera scene. Thank you.
HopesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:34 AM   #2

For stabilized lenses that will autofocus on your D3000, your choices are limited.

If you're looking for a lens that can do portraiture as well as replace the 18-55 kit lens, Nikon's 16-85 is a good choice. It doesn't have a large aperture, so a blurred background will require a little more work on your part, but in all other respects, it's an excellent choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:54 PM   #3

G'day HM

You ask about " Please recommend a lens for close ups "
Do you mean close ups of flowers etc?, or do you mean better-larger images of faces from some distance away from them?

I am presuming it's the second ... many people go for the 50-200mm [nikon or sigma] as this lens covers a lot of stuff

Hope this is useful to you
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:08 PM   #4
DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopesMom View Post
Hi! My husband just bought me a camera Nikon D3000 and it came with a lens 18-55 and this lens is great to point and shoot most pictures (cause I can edit later) but I primarily will take face or portrait shots and want a different lens. I would like recommendations please...I am new to the camera scene. Thank you.
???...This makes no sense to me because in your title you asked for a close up lens recomendation and now your saying you want a different lens....I dont see why you cant get close ups with your zoom?
Most people use close up lenses for macros. They screw on the front filter thread and act like a pair of glasses for your lens, allowing it to focus closer. The best close up lenses on the market are the Canon 500D series, which are available in all popular filter thread sizes. They can even be stacked together with other 500D's allowing even closer focus and their optical quality is excellent.
If your not talking about macro close up lenses then let me know.
DSG is offline   Reply With Quote