Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Cleaning lens

I noticed a tad of dust on my c-5050 lens. It doesn't effect my pics, but how or does one clean their lens?
cram33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:09 PM   #2

Most camera shops sell little lens cleaning cloth's.

Check this out - RitzCamera.com
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 5:14 PM   #3

Thank you, sir.
That's probably such a newbie question.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 9:46 AM   #4

Default Fungus

Is there a way to remove fungus from lenses? I found a few I used to use...they'd been in storage for about 20 years and have fungus on them. Should I toss them? Could the fungus spread to my new lenses?
doug4117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:44 PM   #5

Doug, my brother is a senior scientist for Hoffman LaRoche. I sent him your post and this is his reply, based on fungus. Both of us are newbies to photography, so we know nothing about lenses.

It would depend on the type of fungus (sporeforming or non-sporeforming) and the sensitivity of the lenses. If the lenses can take it, soaking them for a minimum of 10-15 minutes in at least a 10% bleach solution should do the trick. Bleach will kill spores. Since they have been sitting for so long, I would give them a good rinse and repeat a few times. There are also specific anti-fungal agents including ones made specifically for glass but bleach kills just about everything.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:07 PM   #6

thanks, Cram! I'll try bleach.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:13 AM   #7

Hey, I hope you guys are not going to pop your sealed lens assemblies into a 10% bleach solution?

If you have a digicam, the last thing you want to do is get a sniff of a chloro compound near the lcd display. Ask your scientist friend - the lcd will start to turn black from the edges inwards, killing it spores as well!

On the original question, I'd use a lens cleaning BRUSH and only use a cloth or tissue as a second resort and as little as possible. Lens coatings are very thin. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:21 PM   #8

Cram33: NEVER PUT BLEACH IN AN OPTICAL COATED LENS it will remove the coating, maybe etch the glass and ruin it. Lens fungus is removed with just lens cleaning fluid in a Qtip and very carefuly dried with lintless tissue. ALSO IF YOU DON'T HAVE EXPERIENCE DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE LENS.
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 5:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Li
Lens fungus is removed with just lens cleaning fluid in a Qtip and very carefuly dried with lintless tissue.
I've tried cleaning fluid and a tissue but it failed to remove the fungus. Any other ideas?
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:42 PM   #10

Are You sure it is fungus? or is it ion the inside surface? in that case take it for service.
Jorge Li is offline   Reply With Quote