Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:16 PM   #1

Default 1000mm Telephoto Lens for Sony DSC S50?

:? Does any one have any experience using a 1,000mm telephoto lens with a Sony DSC S50? I'm trying to adapt it for birding photos. I've already checked out digiscoping options. Thanks .. Andy
andywatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2004, 1:32 AM   #2

Default Re: 1000mm Telephoto Lens for Sony DSC S50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywatkin
Does any one have any experience using a 1,000mm telephoto lens with a Sony DSC S50? I'm trying to adapt it for birding photos. I've already checked out digiscoping options.
Try the CrystalVue 8X or Kenko 8X monoscopes. Since the S50 has a 37mm thread, you should be able to use either monoscope easily. The remaining question would be if a monoscope would cause vignetting. I tried the CrystalVue 8X on a Nikon Coolpix 990 with a maximum focal length of 115mm which is shorter than your S50 and did not see vignetting. Since the CrystalVue 8X is a 8X lens, combined with your S50, you will have the longest focal length 117 * 8 = 936mm , which is very close to 1000mm. See my Nikon Coolpix 4500 user guide for more details about the lenses. A number of pages in the bottom portion of the user guide home page are about these monoscopes.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:44 AM   #3

andywatkin

Another option is to attach your camera to a spotting scope (if you own one.) There is a forum here dedicated to that topic, it's called "digiscoping." The moderator (Lin Evens) is very knowledgeable and helpful, so you'll find good info there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the input, however I was told by Tom at CKCPowers.com that the CrystalVue 8x32 Sharpshooter Lens will vingette with the Sony DSC S50. I have been working on building my own lens using a 500mm telephoto and a 40mm 1.25" eyepiece for a telescope. Andy
andywatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywatkin
Thanks for the input, however I was told by Tom at CKCPowers.com that the CrystalVue 8x32 Sharpshooter Lens will vingette with the Sony DSC S50. I have been working on building my own lens using a 500mm telephoto and a 40mm 1.25" eyepiece for a telescope. Andy
I would love to hear how things work out with the telephoto and the eyepiece. Keep us posted if you come up with anything that works.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote