Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:27 PM   #1

Default lens filter questions

I've been looking at filters for my new S602, and had a couple questions. I've heard that UV filters don't really do anything but protect the lens on a digital camera...does that mean I can just go with the cheapest UV filter, since the extra quality of a multicoated lens won't help?
I also had a question about polarizing filters. Does it matter if I get a circular or linear filter? From what I read, one's for manual focus, and the other for auto focus...why would it matter, and would using the wrong lens for the wrong focusing meathod mess the picture up?
Last, about brands...I've seen more lens brands than I've got fingers and toes, and they seem like they all have their different levels of price/quality. I'm looking at a few Hoya multi-coated lenses, but didn't know if anyone else has had experience (good or bad) with that brand.
Thanks everyone!
paddyboy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 9:28 PM   #2

Default Opinions on Opteka & other Filter Kits?

I have some similar questions, particularly in regard to the quality of second tier lens filter kits. I'm looking at an Opteka "Hi-Def" 3 filter kit of UV, Polarizer, and Fluorescent. Why? Cost. I can buy two whole kits for the cost of one Nikon filter.

I have a couple of Nikon Coolpix 4500's, and barely scraped up enough for the good Nikon TC-E2 tele and WC-63 wide lenses (used). Naturally they use two different sizes of huge filters. Nikon filters aren't remotely affordable, but I could pick up one of these combo kits in the $30 range. Or look for Hoyas, or Kenkos or something else. I know I need the polarizers, and probably the fluorescents, and why. The UV is a lensguard.

But I need some educated advice as to what's good, what's bad in the economy class of filters.
durgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:38 PM   #3

Default Re: lens filter questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyboy30
I've heard that UV filters don't really do anything but protect the lens on a digital camera...does that mean I can just go with the cheapest UV filter, since the extra quality of a multicoated lens won't help?
Yes, you are right. Image sensors are not as sensitive to UV rays as the films are. If you insist to protect your lens, consider a reasonably good UV filter, especially a multicoated ones. Poorly made filters may be (1) not color neutral, (2) thicker than necessary causing vignetting, and (3) easy to get flare and ghost if not coated.

Quote:
I also had a question about polarizing filters. Does it matter if I get a circular or linear filter? From what I read, one's for manual focus, and the other for auto focus...why would it matter, and would using the wrong lens for the wrong focusing meathod mess the picture up?
Both circular and linear should work fine with consumer digital cameras. The reason is not because of manual vs. auto. Take a look at the post:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6913931

Quote:
Last, about brands...I've seen more lens brands than I've got fingers and toes, and they seem like they all have their different levels of price/quality. I'm looking at a few Hoya multi-coated lenses, but didn't know if anyone else has had experience (good or bad) with that brand.
Multicoated Hoya filters are in general good and work fine with your cam. Take a look at the "Filters" section of my Coolpix 4500 User Guide for more details. I have not updated that section for years; but, the use of filters is camera independent.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:22 AM   #4

Default Tiffen

I cannot afford Hoya, is Tiffen a good brand?
FouSurLaColline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FouSurLaColline View Post
I cannot afford Hoya, is Tiffen a good brand?
Tiffen Digital HT filters are good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote