Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:59 PM   #1

Default Titanium Lens

I had the fortune of receiving an added lens when I ordered an add on lens for my Canon SX40. I don't know if this lens will fit my SX40 or my Canon EOS 40D. It says on the lens Titanium digital AF video 0.45X wide lens (Japan). Will this fit either of my cameras?

Also, what would this type of lens be used for? Is it for macro (fingers crossed)? I see it has Macro written in red lettering on the side of the lens and 37mm/46mm as well as 43 <--> 46 Japan written on the lens where one would add it to a camera.

Is this a decent lens? Any additional information you can provide would really be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:45 AM   #2

This is a wide angle adapter lens. The 0.45x means that it will reduce the focal length of the lens you add it to by a bit more than half, making a normal 50mm lens into about a 23mm wide angle lens. I wouldn't expect it to be useful for macro work. The numbers on the side are thread sizes. It appears that it is a 46mm basic thread, with adapter rings to 43mm and 37mm. You should be able to unscrew the adapter rings, and use either the lens by itself, or one of the rings to get it to fit on the front of one or more of your camera lenses. The thread sizes of your lenses will be marked on the front of the lens. If none are the same, you can get other size adapter rings from most any photo supply store.
I don't know what the quality of the lens is, but I wouldn't expect too much from it. If wide angle photos interest you, it might very well be worth trying.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:47 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your response. The lens was given to me with no cost...so I will be giving it a try. I plan to take my camera out tonight and see what it will do.

Thank you for the information.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:14 PM   #4

G'day LL

VT's answer is 'on the mark' with some good advice too

The lens you describe goes under the generic name of 'auxiliary lens' and is / was very popular a few years ago with movie cameras which had small zoom lenses. The quality was never meant for still cameras and large printed images

The biggest issue I see with the SX40 is the weight of the lens when attached directly onto the camera lens ... the extra weight will soon burn out the zoom/focus motor

Canon sell an adapter tube for 'their' aux lenses - where the tube clips into the camera body - not the movable lens ... but whether this aux lens will fit that tube I don't know

ps- Panasonic also have a tube + aux lens system as well
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote