Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 22, 2002, 9:23 AM   #1

Default Add-on lenses summary and S602

I'm currently searching add-on lenses for my Finepix S602 (35-210, 55mm adaptator).

From what I saw in the previous posts, the top 3 telephoto seems to be:
1. Olympus B300 1.7x, 55mm, no filter accpeted, the best and most expensive, hard to find
2. Olympus TCON 14b, 1.4x, 62mm, accepts 86mm filters
3. Olympus A200, 1.5x, 49mm, don't know if it accepts filters, a bargain for the price.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

My main problem id concerning the wide angle lenses. The only one I found comments about is the Olympus WCON 08b, 0.8x, 55mm, 105mm end.
As the S602 begins at 35mm, a 0.8x will bring it to 28mm, which is not that wide.

Is there any other lenses to consider ? What about the Fuji ones (WL-FX9 0.75x and TL-FX9 1.5x) ? Will the mentioned lenses work with a S602 ?

Thanks for your input.

[Edited on 2002-8-22 by noctem]
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2002, 5:05 PM   #2

Yes......I would like to know the same thing......

Can someone plz help?
dunnakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 4:52 PM   #3

Default S602 lenses

Please forgive my possible ignorance as I am not a pro but have a 602. The 602 focus is done outside the lens and not through it a la SLR. Now I suspect when you use the Fuji lenses and tell the camera they are fitted, the focus circuitry and possibly exposure might just compensate for the extra glass. So please would anybody using the alternative lenses tell me if the auto setup still works correctly? I'm afraid I didn't take the chance and got the Fuji Wide angle lens. Didn't like the skimpy thread at the extension tube to camera end though, for quite a heavy lens.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 7:32 AM   #4

voxmagna,
i have not used any add-on lens on a Fuji S602 however, i feel that the focusing would work just as fine with the attached lens.
ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 7:16 AM   #5

I don't know about your camera, but I love the B300 on my Olympus C2100. Look at the people photos forum to see the first pictures I took with that combination.
Lil_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 6:20 AM   #6

Lil C,
Have you seen the a-200 anywere lately?
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 12:34 PM   #7

Default S602 focus with add-on lenses

"The S602 Zoom's lens barrel has a set of 55mm filter threads, which accommodate Fuji's accessory lens kits. Both 1.5x telephoto and 0.79x wide-angle converters are available. In order for it to focus correctly, you need to tell the camera when you're using accessory optics, by selecting the Set Adapter Ring option on the Setup menu"

source: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F602/F62P.HTM
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2002, 5:31 PM   #8

Gary, I haven't really looked at the A200 lately. I'm happy with the B300 right now.

[Edited on 9-22-2002 by Lil_country]
Lil_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2002, 9:34 PM   #9

Default Some answers....

Quote:
In order for it to focus correctly, you need to tell the camera when you're using accessory optics, by selecting the Set Adapter Ring option on the Setup menu"
The above is a "feature," but NOT necessary. This does NOT tell the camera to focus correctly, it simply tells it to not zoom beyond a certain point which would allow vignetting with an attached telephoto adapter.

You can use the B-300 - A200 - TCON-14B or TCON-300 lenses (all Olympus) with the S602. The B-300 is the easiest fit because it has 55mm threads and requires no adapter ring to attach to the Fuji adapter tube. It's a 1.7x telephoto and works fine. The TCON-14B is a 1.45X tele adapter which was actually made for the Olympus E10 and E20. It's HUGE. It has a 63mm ocular filter thread size and thus will require a 55 to 63 step-up ring. It has about an 86mm objective. It's a superior ED glass lens, but it's really BIG and really HEAVY. The A200 is a good compromise. It has less optical quality than any of the others, but is light and works fairly well. The TCON-300 is a super lens, but it's VERY EXPENSIVE costing almost as much as the camera. I paid nearly $600 for mine, but have seen them for around $489. It does not screw into the filter threads, but requires the user to fabricate a mount which holds the lens in close mechanical proximity to the camera's lens. It's 3X and you have to manually focus the lens independently from the camera.

All these lenses will work fine with the S602's autofocus. If you zoom too far back, you will get vignetting (dark shadows in the corners). You don't need to set any menu choices, just look through the viewfinder and when you see shadowing in the corners, zoom in more until just after it disappears.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 8:18 PM   #10

I purchased a pro pack for my S602 that included a crystal vision 0.5x and 2.0x conversion lenses. These are not the highest quality lenses, but I got them anyway because they were butt-cheap. On the widest angles on both of them, I find I get vignetting (more severe with the wide angle lens, especially with filters screwed between the extension tube and conversion lens--in fact, the telephoto only exhibits vignetting from 70mm to roughly 190mm, which are focal lengths I can get without the lens anyway). However, they both do a serviceable job on the camera and I find that I can solve the vignetting problem simply by taking several shots and stitching them together.

In any case, with these two conversion lenses I've expanded my optical zoom range from 17.5mm to 420mm, and that's enough for me.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote