Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:51 PM   #1

Default 2x Sigma extender for 50-500

NHL? Eric? Anyone...

I just ordered the Sigma 2x APO for EOS extender that I plan to use with the Bigma 50-500. Will I need a step-up or down ring for this? Please respond quickly so that I can order what I need, if anything. I'm completely unfamiliar with these extenders and I don't want it to arrive only to discover that I need another part for the unit to work.

Thanks
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:29 PM   #2
NHL

No need... It's a stand alone 2x teleconverter and will fit between the two EOS mount camera/lens.

But are you sure you want to do this? this will stop the AF from working since it'll increase the minimum aperture by 2 stop (ie anything above f/5.6 will not AF reliably)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:35 PM   #3

I have no problem with that for a few reasons. Let me know if they don't make sense to you and why, thanks:

1. In bright light outside I will be stopping down on my aperture enough that DOF will allow for effective zone focus.

2. At that distance my focus will probably not be quick action but simply getting the shot as opposed to a small dot.

Please let me know if any of the above doesn't make sense to you. Thanks for the quick response! You the man!
Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:49 PM   #4

The images will also be softer. If all you are looking for is to have the capture, then it will work. But if you are trying to take a "good picture" then I wouldn't try it. But I have very high standards... probably too high.

You regularly shoot at f11? Because if I did the math right (f5.6, f8, f11?), that is what you'll be shooting at (actually higher than that, because at 500 the 50-500 is really at f6.3.) If you do, then you have enough light to work with. If not, then you'll have to lower the shutter speed to make up for it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:29 AM   #5

Thanks for responding, I'll let you know the results when I get the lens and the extender...at this moment I have neither.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 3:26 AM   #6

Default Sigma 2X extender ok.

Norm, The Sigma EX extender works fine on the 50-500 zoom in manual focus only. It may not reach some stricter standards but Sigma lists it as a viable application and it works. I already had the extender before I got the lens and I have used it on occation. The focus is a little touchy and takes getting used to. You had better have some serious tripod with a rock solid mount or this is not worth the effort. I use a Kirk King Cobra gymbal mount and it makes this assembly fun to use. When the nay sayers start shouting ask them to show you their collection of 1000mm shots.Like I said it is not for every day but if the need arrises, you'll be the one that can ZOOM out.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote