Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:17 PM   #1

Default Comprehensive Telecon Lens List ???

Are there any other good teleconverter lens performance summaries other than this (relatively new) one?

http://www.pbase.com/image/26137750
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2004, 7:02 PM   #2

Default Re: Comprehensive Telecon Lens List ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooperdog
Are there any other good teleconverter lens performance summaries other than this (relatively new) one?
I don't read the kind of rating like the one you pointed out. There are at least two fundamental flaws. (1), what do GOOD, VERY GOOD, POOR and FAIR mean? Is this a personal taste or something that the readers and the writer can agree upon? For example, does "GOOD" mean the same between you and me? (2), how is a rating obtained? A lens will perform differently with different cameras. In fact, even with the same camera, lens performance depends on the nature of the scene, the aperture being used, the image processing option used, the focusing distance, etc. For example, lenses usually perform differently at various distance (e.g., short, moderate, infinity, etc). Some lenses perform extremely good on the camera to which it is designed for; but, perform not-so-good with other camera with step rings, adapters, etc.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 6:21 AM   #3

Well, I'd suspect that although opinions might differ somewhat the difference between various lenses can be seen and if the test photos are included with the results summary everyone is free to judge for themselves. Any information is better than no information when you are considering a lens purchase. I also agree that the photos should include shots from the camera of interest or several different cameras. Normally the sharpness and CA are the only criteria for telephotos and then add barrel distortion for wide angles.

BTW I left a question for you in the Nikon forum.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote