Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:45 PM   #1

Default A2 telephoto lens question.....

Based on my limited use of the camera so far I think I need to get a telephoto lens. Anyone have any suggestions? I know Minolta makes a 1.5X tele and I've seen them as high as 3X. Found this auction on Ebay too. Any info would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30070[/url]
Sbrown712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2004, 3:25 AM   #2

Default Re: A2 telephoto lens question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrown712
Based on my limited use of the camera so far I think I need to get a telephoto lens. Anyone have any suggestions? I know Minolta makes a 1.5X tele and I've seen them as high as 3X. Found this auction on Ebay too. Any info would be appreciated.
The Minolta 1.5X is not yet available. as far as I know. The Kenko 3X is worth your investment because its image quality is below average. Meanwhile you have a number of choices:. See here: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=17608 and http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=18167

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 12:30 PM   #3

Thanks for those links, I had seen that post before but couldn't remember where I had seen it. Looks like the Olympus TCON-17 may be the way to go. Especially since it's much less expensive than the 14b.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 1:42 AM   #4

I've looked into this too and I think the TCON-17 is about the highest mag you can get. The convertors that go above this are all for smaller aperture cameras and will vignette horribly. The Minolta convertor is available from April. It's 150 here (so I guess that means about $150 in the US) and it also comes with a firmware upgrade to allow the menu selection of the correct focal length. This adjusts the cameras lens elements and keeps the photographic information correct. It'll be better than the Olympus, but maybe 340mm is more attractive to you than 300mm.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:29 AM   #5

Actually, I like the idea of using a Minolta lens better and I think 300mm would be enough.
You raised another question for me, how would the firmware be installed? Is it on a card that just plugs into the camera?
Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:05 AM   #6
NHL

FYI

The Minolta tele adapter comes with a firmware update... It shows up as an option in the menu that one must select to enable the A2 to better match the new focal lenght (may be the anti-shake as well)!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8224231
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:17 AM   #7

I doubt if it has any effect on the anti-shake - that's the advantage of putting the function in the body instead of the lens - but I guess putting a tele-convertor on the Panasonic FZ10 might interfere with its IS. Don't know how the upgrade is delivered. Maybe via the USB and the internet, with some security mechanism if Minolta are determined to charge for it (why?).

It's a pity that they can't come up with a 2X convertor, even if it loses some aperture. The AS can cope with it. I personally think I'll get the TCON-17 because it's half the price and a bit longer. 150 for a 1.5X tele is taking the mickey.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:56 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technophile
I doubt if it has any effect on the anti-shake - that's the advantage of putting the function in the body instead of the lens - but I guess putting a tele-convertor on the Panasonic FZ10 might interfere with its IS. Don't know how the upgrade is delivered. Maybe via the USB and the internet, with some security mechanism if Minolta are determined to charge for it (why?).
The converters come with a CD with the upgrades for all the Dimages including the D7i... If you search carefully on the dpReview forum, you'll realize the included firmware also adjusts for the slight vignetting at corners with the WA adapter!
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:36 AM   #9

Quote:
The converters come with a CD with the upgrades for all the Dimages including the D7i... If you search carefully on the dpReview forum, you'll realize the included firmware also adjusts for the slight vignetting at corners with the WA adapter!
When you say all the Dimages, does that include the Z1?

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:56 AM   #10
NHL

Do thoses converters fit the Z series? ... kind of big and heavy for that camera isn't it? (I don't know!)