Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:13 AM   #1

Default Lens Kit

I have a Coolpix 5400 and seen this kit of a telephoto and wide angle lens offered on ebay and was wondering if anyone would know if these are any good or not. I'm new to the digital camera that can accept different lens and I don't want to throw money away. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30067
Markd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2004, 8:34 AM   #2

The seller is right about one thing. These lenses are sold under diffrent names on ebay and they are all the same, junk! You can find other lenses like tiffen, canon, nikon, olympus etc. on ebay too so his statment that all lenses on ebay are the same is false. Stay away from these cheap lenses like digital optics and titanium. They are low quality. I use a canon so I am not sure what is best for your camera. You can more than likley use smaller, and therefor cheaper glass than I can.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:36 AM   #3

Is there a reliable place to get better quality lenes at a decent price?
Markd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:35 AM   #4

If you do not want to throw your money away, my advice is to be patient and not in a rush to buy. Unfortunatlly, I am a canon user. I can give some recomendations as far as good lenses, but franklly, my camera usally requires larger (and therefore more expensive lenses than many nikons usally do). I would not discount ebay. I would just discount this brand of lens (which is actually sold under several diffrent names). A good economy lens is the tiffen megaplus (for telephoto anyway). There is a 37mm and a 43mm. The 37mm should work fine with your camera. b h photo is a reliable source for this and other lenses.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
You might also want to check out what olympusamerica is selling on ebay. There are some great deals to be had, but I do not know what lenses would work with your camera. There are some very fine lenses that you can get deals on here.
I would advise you to check out (search) posts by Shene (or perhaps he will respond). He is very knoledgable about nikon camera and what lenses will work with them.
I just bought a olympus c-210 and for the price (20$), you cannot get beter. This lens is 52mm though, so it fits the 52mm threads on my canon adapter but you would have to use a step up ring, maybe even two stacked, to get it to fit yours. Another place that is reliable but has limited selection is bugeye digital (which caries the tiffen too). They cary a metal adapter for canons (much beter than the plastic canon one) so they have become popular with canon users.
Fyi, heres is Shene's site, which tells lots of info about nikons and add on lenses.
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
I will try to help if you have any other questions.
What is your price range by the way, and if you were buying lense seperatlly, what are you intereted in (telephoto, wide, macro)?
Fyi, on the c-210, it retails for about 80$ but I am not sure they even make it any more. You can get it or other olympus lenses much cheaper than retail sometimes.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote