Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2004, 3:28 AM   #1

Default 3x tele converter for coolpix 5700

3x tele converter for coolpix 5700
:?: I am considering an Opteka brand 3x tele extender for my 5700. I realize that the Nikon brand extender is likely to be sharper but it only goes to about 1.5 x. The ebay seller, 47th street, states that the Opteka (about $95) is "Hi Definition" a higher than normal quality with all the new hi tech coatings, glass and design. (hype?)
My Qs are: 1) is it a decent lens? 2) do these lenses have a light loss like the extenders that go between an slr and lens, if so how many stops will I loose? I have the adapter from the 5700 to a 52 mm for the .5 wide angle Opteka lens I got, and so I can use standard 52 mm filters etc. I will get some ND filters too. I'd sure like that new Singh-Ray variable ND but at $340 it is a Pro's toy, too much for a wannabe like me. Thanks for any feedback
Jock on the Big Island

PS I am new to forums, though I have read several. Seems like a great network for ideas.
jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:45 AM   #2

Forget that Teleconverter. Go for the 3x Nikon converter that's made for CP5700. It's PINSHARP and worth all the money! Don't compromise if you can afford it.

I have owned and used this exact compination.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 2:27 PM   #3

Sorry Jock. I seems to have made a mistake. I actually meant the TC-E15ED. That's a huge difference. I'm really sorry. My thoughts about the quality stands however.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 3:13 PM   #4

I agree with Klaus forget the Opteka lens. I use the Olympus Tcon 17 which works very well with my 5700. The Nikon lens are excellent but I already had the my lens when I purchased the 5700.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 3:29 PM   #5

Jock - you might want to take a look at the new Raynox DCR-2020 PRO scheduled for release the first week in May. It is a 2.2X teleconverter which will take the 5700 out to 610mm (35 mil equivalent). Raynox lenses of the past have received very good reviews (I have the .66X Wide Angle), so hopefully this new one should be a good performer. Suggested retail in Canada is $299 CDN dollars. You should be able to pick one up for about $200 US street price.

Sting 8)
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote