Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 lense

Does anybody have any knowledge or information regarding the Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Compact Hyper Zoom Aspherical lense?

I am thinking of purchasing it 2nd hand for landscape, nature (animals) and possibly some outside sports shots. It will be my first add on lense (still getting to grips with add-on lenses with DSLR's ) apart from the Canon 18-55mm that came with my Digi Rebel as I need something with a lot more focal length for distance shots.

Anyone use one or come across one that you might be able to share some info on. Things like lense quality, what I can expect from it coupled with my Rebel.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:06 AM   #2

Anyone got any comments on this lense???
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:13 AM   #3

There are two resources that I usually use when evaluating a lens. One is this on:
http://www.photozone.de/bindex2.html

(If that doesn't work, click on the "equipment" tab at the top.)
It lists that lens as the worst optically of all the XX-300 lense they have info about. It's optically .44 out of 5... its only redeeming factor seems to be a built quality of "not so good" (**- out of ****)

The other is this one:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

This one is mixed. One person loved it (5/5) the other two dislike it (2/5 each.) One of them ending with:
Quote:
Don't EVER think of getting this as your first lens or only lens. But if you have a well rounded kit of good lenses,. then something like this may be of interest for certain situations where quality takes a far backseat to ultra portabilty.
I wouldn't get it, but I already have several lenses that cover this range.

Usually, but not always, the wider the zoom range the worse quality (there are a few exceptions, like the Sigma 50-500, but they are rare.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 1:41 PM   #4

Thanks for your time Eric, your info is much appreciated. It looks as if I will pass on this lense...