Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 2, 2004, 6:46 PM   #1

OK thanks everyone for the input on the 3x. I am talked out of it.

I am now considering the Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x converter due out this week. Does anyone know of a review on this or has anyone had good or bad luck with Raynox products? Are all of these tele converters junk or are there ones more powerful than the measly (though quality, if expensive) 1.5x Nikon, that are worth the $? Mahalo and thanks Jock
Attached Images

jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2004, 11:27 PM   #2
djb

now that it's May, is th dcr-2020 available yet? i haven't seen it advertised anywhere other than on the raynox website with no prices.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 2:44 PM   #3

djb wrote:
Quote:
now that it's May, is th dcr-2020 available yet? i haven't seen it advertised anywhere other than on the raynox website with no prices.
It has a price tag of 21,840 yen in Japan. The current exchange rate is about 1:109. So, expect to pay $200+ for a copy here in the US. Sometime ago a retail store in Taiwan was willing to sell me a demo copyfor about $170; but, I was not able to wait for a coiuple of days. However, I did think the $170 is a bit low and was not convinced I could get it with that price. I was not able to take any test shots.

CK
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 10:45 PM   #4
djb

Shene, thanx for the info. i really need some added tele to my s602z amd the dsc2020 seems to be what i need. has anyone tried using these in macro mode?? is it feasable?? i was thinking maybe it could work in macro mode and be able to get the macro capability at a greater distance and not spook the bug or bee or whatever. any thoughts from anyone?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 2:17 AM   #5

djb wrote:
Quote:
i was thinking maybe it could work in macro mode and be able to get the macro capability at a greater distance and not spook the bug or bee or whatever. any thoughts from anyone?
To move away from yout subject fro macro shooting, try adding good close-up lenses. In general, your camera lens should be zoomed all the way in to the maximum focal length. This will force you to move the camera away from the subject as minimum focusing distance is usually proportional to the focal length being used. Adding a close-up lens brings the camera back closer to the subject. In this way, you will be able to have a larger working distance. The use of close-up lenses would not be very effective if the camera is in macro mode. Finally, since the camera lens is zoomed all the way in, which in most cases the image quality is inferior to that of a shorter focal length one, you must use high quality close-up lens to compensate this shortcoming. Canon, Nikon and Olympus all have excellent close-up lenses.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 11:10 AM   #6

Back in March I went to the Raynox website which referred me to the Canadian distributor who, following an e-mail, put me in touch with a local distributor. This vendordoesn't keep the lens in stock because of low demand (small city) but can get me one to play with in about 2 days. If it's not up to snuff he says I can return it. Good deal. It is available now (actually since April)and the suggested retail price in Canada is $299CDN. Given the current exchange rate on the Canadian dollar that amounts to about $1.50US (only kidding).You should be able to get a street price of about$190 US or better. Raynox lens appear to bea pretty good valueand quality seems to be very good.

Larry
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 4:18 AM   #7

Thanks Sting, I have one on order ("as soon as they come in") (I think he said around $170US) plus I ordered the coolfix and will need a step down ring. I don't have to buy it if I get enough feedback on it being less than desirable.

I welcome any comments on this or other Raynox lenses. thanks .....Jock
Old May 13, 2004, 10:42 PM   #8

For what it's worth, I did some research last year and purchased the Raynox DCR-6600Pro wide-angle lens based on the specs, the price and the example photos on the excellent Raynox.co.jp website. From my experience with it, the DCR-6600Pro has lived up to what Raynox claimed it would do. The big selling point for me was the very low distortion, and from what I've seen the pictures on the website are very accurate. I get a wider angle view without turning all the straight lines in the picture into curves.

As I've mentioned I like their website. It's really the best I've seen for lenses. They have dozens of pages with actual full-size comparison images taken with all sorts of modern digital cameras, and they add new cameras pretty often. They don't appear to "enhance" the comparison images to make their lenses appear to work better than they do. If a lens is going to cause vignetting with a particular camera they always say so, and you'll see the vignetting if you go to the comparison image page for that camera.

Another thing I like about the Raynox lenses is that most of them appear to be multi-coated, and everyone knows how important that is for wide-angle and especially telephoto lenses, to reduce the chromatic aberration (purple fringing on bright objects) and distortion. You won't find multi-coating on most inexpensive extension lenses. The DCR-6600Pro has a good solid quality feel to it as well, and came with a nice hard plastic padded shipping case and two good lens covers to protect it.

All-in-all, I think Raynox is a reputable company that makes a quality product, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the DCR-2020Pro. Just pay attention to the specs and make sure you use a camera that is similar to one that is already listed on their website as being compatible with that lens. They appear to have made the back end of the 2020 large enough that it should work without vignetting on all digital cameras except the ones with really huge lenses.

I've got an Olympus C-750 and I'm looking at the Panasonic DMC-FZ10, both of which have larger than average lenses. Just take a look at the comparison image pages for those models on raynox.co.jp and you'll get a pretty good idea of how that lens will perform. If your model isn't listed just find another model there with a similar size lens. Also, if you look at a page for a particular model and they don't show the lense you are interested in on that page, that most likely means it doesn't work well with that camera so they don't want to show you any comparison images or offer it as an accessory specifically for that model.

By the way, I'm also looking for a good source for the DCR-2020Pro. The only place I've found it so far is some website in the Netherlands, and they don't ship out of country. But they had a price of 180 Euros, so I figure the price here in the US will be roughly $190-210.

Good luck, Jock.
RedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 7:58 PM   #9

Hi Peeps, just joined this forum. I ordered the 2020 today from Digital Distrubitors out of Brooklyn. the price tag was 199.00 for the lens. Also had to buy the adapter for my Nikon 8700 at a price of 19.99.

I had some questions that needed to be answered,the sales person took my phone number and called back to with the answers I asked for. How's that for service over the net.

Ilooked at all the lenses on e bay and decided on Raynox from there rep and webpage,seems like they are committed to quality.

Iwill post after I recieve and use the lens. Happy shooting!
shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 12:55 AM   #10

Ialso ordered the lens today for the same price as above, diff supplier also in Brooklyn, digitaletc.com , and they are very friendly. Will post images after I get it. Jock