Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 4, 2004, 11:52 AM   #1

I have a Fuji FinePix S5000 and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should invest in lens filters beyond a basic UV to protect the lens. I currently have the lens tube on as a modest measure of protection.

We will be taking a Carribean cruise soon and wonder if one of thekits w/ 3 filtersI see on eBay would be advised? I also have an old square Conkin Filter System (like 10+ years) that might fit onto the 55mm extension ring. Haven't tried it yet and bet it would be pretty bulky. So, if a set of filters is recommended, I'd probably try one of the sets on eBay unless y'all recommend something else.

Oh, yeah, one other thing - if I add a basic UV or other filter, do I need to use the extension tube?

Thanks for feedback....

-Doug-
KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2004, 12:27 PM   #2

The next filter you should get should absolutely be a polarizing filter. It'll reduce glare and reflections, make colors look better, and there's no digital substitute.

If you're really serious about advanced photography the next on your list should be neutral density filters. They allow you to keep the shutter open longer in bright light.

Other filters such as colored filters or white balance correction filters, soft-focus and special effects filters are rather unneccessary for digital - their effects can be done in Photoshop.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 6:55 PM   #3

Are you saying that I should get a UV & a polarizing filter?

Can you direct me to more info. about what neutral density filters are and the value of keeping the shutter open longer in daylight?

Thanks much for your help.

-D-

Old May 7, 2004, 8:29 PM   #4

KCDoug wrote:
Quote:
We will be taking a Carribean cruise soon and wonder if one of thekits w/ 3 filtersI see on eBay would be advised? I also have an old square Conkin Filter System (like 10+ years) that might fit onto the 55mm extension ring. Haven't tried it yet and bet it would be pretty bulky. So, if a set of filters is recommended, I'd probably try one of the sets on eBay unless y'all recommend something else.
The most needed filter is the polarizer, followed by ND and gradual ND filters. The UV filter is not absolutely necessary if you are not looking for lens protection because image sensors are not very sensitive to the UV ray. See the "Filters" section of my Coolpix 4500 user guide. The use of filters are camera independent.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 11:55 AM   #5

A neutral density filter reduces the amount of light coming in without affecting DOF like the aperture does. If you've ever taken long exposures at night, where the motion blur is an artistic part of the picture, with a ND filter you can do that in the day. Another cool one is a half ND filter so you can expose your subject properly but not have a blown-out sky.

Check out Hoya's website. They make some of the best filters although they are rather expensive, but at any rate they have a very good website.

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/hoya/index.html

On a sidenote, when you get a polarizing filter, make sure it is a circular polarizer, otherwise it will mess with your autofocus.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 9:41 PM   #6

Thanks to all for your helpful info.

-Doug-