Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 5, 2004, 8:00 PM   #1

I have purchased a Canon Powershot S1 IS camera as well as a UV Haze filter and a Circular Polarizing Filter. Which order should these filters attach? Can they both be used at the same time?

About the polarizing filter it says that one ought to increase the F stop by 2. What does that mean? Will my camera automatically adjust for that filter when it is set on AUTO? I am a novice to digital cameras and am not sure about these questions. Any help would be appreciated!
danielswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2004, 8:36 PM   #2

As far as the filter order, I don't know if it matters. Half of me says put the cheapest one on front so if you accidentally bump it on something it damages the less expensive one. The other half of me says put the polarizing one on front because the polarizer works based on the direction the light enters the filter and having another filter in front might change the direction of the light. I'm not sure though.

Second question - your camera will automatically adjust the exposure. It meters based on what is coming through the lens "TTL"

A polarizer will be most pronounced at 90 degrees to the light source - such as when the sun is to the left or right but it will also cut glare straight ahead in reflections.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 8:40 PM   #3

danielswiss wrote:
Quote:
I have purchased a Canon Powershot S1 IS camera as well as a UV Haze filter and a Circular Polarizing Filter. Which order should these filters attach? Can they both be used at the same time?
Remove your UV before mounting the polarizer to get better results and avoid wignetting.

danielswiss wrote:
Quote:
About the polarizing filter it says that one ought to increase the F stop by 2. What does that mean? Will my camera automatically adjust for that filter when it is set on AUTO? I am a novice to digital cameras and am not sure about these questions. Any help would be appreciated!
Your camera meter will automatically compensate the light loss due to the use of a filter unless you are in manual exposure mode.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 4:34 PM   #4

I'm curious - where did you get the filters? I'd like to get them too.
mr_walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 3:26 AM   #5

mr_walsh wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious - where did you get the filters? I'd like to get them too.
Try these links:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Q=&ci=4038

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...p;cat1=Filters

http://www.2filter.com/

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 9:12 AM   #6

It appears as though the only way to add filters is with an adapter, but it is hard to tell from Steve's review. The adapter looks as though you can probably use both filters without vignetting. I would put the UV on the adapter and add the polarizer when needed. The UV filter can stay on all the time but you should use the polarizer only when you have need to reduce the total light (which is seldom) or have a scene that will be enhanced by polarization.

Keep in mind that a 10X shot will be made more difficult to handhold with the polarizer on. Stabilization isn't magic. A polarizer isn't something that should always be on the camera. What the f stop increase by 2 means is that you get only ΒΌ the light to the sensor with the filter attached. The camera will compensate for that automatically, but it just about eliminates the advantage of stabilization which roughly gives you a 2 stop advantage.

If I had an S1 I probably wouldn't buy an adapter unless I wanted to add a teleconverter. People claim they can see the difference in scenery taken with a polarizer compared to the same image enhanced in an image editor. I can't. A polarizer will reduce or eliminate glare in some situations and you can't duplicate that easily in an image editor. But for the few times I have glare that will reduce the quality of a shot I would rather not carry the junk.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 1:57 AM   #7

I'd only attach polarizerwhen you need it for a specific reason. Two F stops is a high price to pay if you don't need the polaizer for everything.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 7:06 AM   #8

I need to ask a couple of novice question.

I would like to use a neutral density filter on my S1 IS. Do I need to purchase the lens adapter to attach it to?

Later, if I decide to buy one of the converters (the Wide or Tele), can I no longer attach the neutral density filter?

Thanks!
edamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:26 AM   #9

From what I have read the answer is YES. It is a bayonet style adaptor with 52mm threads on one end to accomodate filters and add-on lens. Several companies make them but I would suggest you stick with the Canon.Whatadd-on lens you purchase will dictate whetherfilters can be put on the end. Most havefilter threads, some do not.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:57 AM   #10

Thanks for the info Sting. I do plan to purchase the Canon Tele lens first (after getting the lens adapter). I don't --believe-- they have threads on the end, but I've never actually laid hands on one to know for sure. Perhaps someone else could help me that actually has one (the Canon TC-DC52B).

One other thought...if there are no threads on the end of the TC-DC52B, could a person place the filter between the lens adapter and the lens...assuming the filter has threads on both the front and back? In this case, I'm thinking of using a circular polarizer with the TC-DC52B but would lose the capability if the TC-DC52B didn't have threads on the front.

Thanks again!
edamron is offline   Reply With Quote